How do you remember to take your meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chel,

That is why I bought the pill box that's labeled AM/PM and its in the same place all the time. I was forgetting before then i f I took my meds! now i just look in the box to see if that space is empty. I always fill the box after the pm dose. The watch is just for an aural reminder only for when I am at work or when I am out and about. Glad to hear the outlook is working well for you. Maybe you need a visual reminder that works for a lot of people. Do you have someone to help you remember to take it. Maybe until you get a system in place you could get someone to call you at med time to remind you?
We all learn diffrently how to cope. I am rooting for you : )

Tina

Pill boxes

I want to echo what everyone says about pill boxes, they are fantastic. I'm not on any medications now, but when I was, pill boxes saved me from so much debating with myself over whether I had taken them or not.

Another helpful thing to add to the pill boxes, especially if you can't afford to miss your medications in the morning, is post-its. Occasionally I would put a post-it with a quick medication reminder somewhere I knew I would see it. Most people have something they do or look at every morning. Like if you check your email or COE every morning, you can stick a post-it to your computer screen. Or whatever else you see every morning.

Saul,

I love the idea of the post it note! The bathroom would be another great place to put it maybe on the mirror? Or maybe the refrigerator? That way you would see it as you grabbed your breakfast/lunch/dinner?

I keep my meds in my giant courier bag, which I leave on the floor right outside my bedroom door. When I wake up in the morning, I practically trip on the bag -- which reminds me to take my meds. And now I've trained myself to place the bag on a chair after I fish out the meds, so then I know that I've taken them when I see the bag on the chair instead of on the floor.

In the evening, it's a little trickier, but I try and do the same thing -- place my bag on the chair after I've taken the meds so that I know I'm all set. It's harder when I'm not at home, though.

Im lazy and disorganised ( no pill boxes for me). i carry around my daily dose and pop them when i have to take them OR get a reminder phone call from mum and/or my girlfriend :).

Doc, How do you manage that with an irregular schedule? You must have a mind like a steel trap. Amazing.

As of Friday, I gave up. My service animal was most recently trained to remind me twice a day, which wasn't working with my three-times-a-day med schedule. I asked my doc if I could go back to just twice a day, and we've adjusted my meds.

Now I just take them in the morning when I brush my teeth, and when I brush them at night. My dog reminds me, too, in case I think I've brushed my teeth and I haven't. Or I just completely forget altogether. Which happens more often than I'd like to admit.

Back
Top Bottom