How many 'forms' do you have of a single type of Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sweet Pea

New
Reaction score
I know that every person experiences Seizures differently, especially my most common (several times a day) Simple Partial Seizures.

But what I am asking is, how many variants do you (yourself) have of one particular kind of seizure?

My Simple Partials come in various forms; from motor jerks on one side, to facial twitches/hand jerks/foot jerks/eye blinking, to alterations in perception, to tingling/goosebumps on one side, to numbness on a particular side of head, to sudden confusion in simple tasks or familiar environments. And all these are different "events".

I saw my new Neurologist today who says apparently so many variants to a single type of seizure is a sign of Pseudo/Non-Epileptic Seizures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sweet Pea,

I suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy...where I go into autism states it's where you know what your doing but the outer mind is blocked off until you come round...I can be carm in them or stages of rage, ive done harm to others in them plus they cause memory loss which can last from an hour to days and they revert my mind back to younger times not the present.
I also suffer from grandmal epilepsy...where I go down but always on my left side and sometimes there's swallowing of the tongue or incontinence and with those I have partial seizures like yourself and also tonic clonic and ontop I suffer from Todds palsy...where I can go paralyzied.

I used to have exactly two kinds of seizures--one kind of simple partial, one kind of complex partial, and once, a tonic--no real variants at all. I later added myoclonics, now my most common seizure type. But my seizures have changed and I have a couple of things I really don't know WHAT they are--probably simple partials that involve my hand clamping up into a claw, then shoulder jerking, lower body jerking, then confusion and nausea, and a couple versions like that that aren't as severe, and can sometimes just be facial twitching (that's probably a myoclonic but who knows). Seizures are weird--they certainly can change over time.

I saw my new Neurologist today who says apparently so many variants to a single type of seizure is a sign of Pseudo/Non-Epileptic Seizures?

My wife's gran mals come in two different forms.

One, her body stiffens, seems like all her muscles are just clinching at once.

Second, she flails and twitches and shakes. I cant really describe it.

Neruo says they're the same kind.

Do you remember what happens during your seizures?

Last edited:
I used to have exactly two kinds of seizures--one kind of simple partial, one kind of complex partial, and once, a tonic--no real variants at all. I later added myoclonics, now my most common seizure type. But my seizures have changed and I have a couple of things I really don't know WHAT they are--probably simple partials that involve my hand clamping up into a claw, then shoulder jerking, lower body jerking, then confusion and nausea, and a couple versions like that that aren't as severe, and can sometimes just be facial twitching (that's probably a myoclonic but who knows). Seizures are weird--they certainly can change over time.

When I first started having these episodes, they were very specific and 1 kind only. It was still a Simple Partial but it was mostly just perception changes (feeling dissociative and unreal) with a feeling of fear or anxiety, and I had a hard time speaking. But now it seems like different things are happening in different variations - or atleast I am more aware of them?

After a couple years I started having Complex Partials, where I would lose consciousness and wander or rummage through my things.

And now my most common event is motor (which happens daily) and not sensory (which happens monthly, if that).

---------------------------------------------------------------​
It's interesting to hear that other people have the same kind of progression and variations.

My new Neuro schedule a sleep deprived EEG (and a MRI beccause apparently there is one for "Epilepsy Protocol" which was ignored? IDK what that means though) and I'm hoping my brain will cooperate to get some answers - to at least have a episode during (which I have never done, EVER. Even with 2 EEGs and a VEEG!).

:woot:

My wife's gran mals come in two different forms.

One, her body stiffens, seems like all her muscles are just clinching at once.

Second, she flails and twitches and shakes. I cant really describe it.

Neruo says they're the same kind.

Do you remember what happens during your seizures?

Yes, mostly I do - well except the Complex Partials. But the Simple Partials I do.

Everything I described in my first post...
motor jerks on one side, to facial twitches/hand jerks/foot jerks/eye blinking, to alterations in perception, to tingling/goosebumps on one side, to numbness on a particular side of head, to sudden confusion in simple tasks or familiar environments

Are variations of my Simple Partials which I am completely aware during, and remember after.

Some of them do vary in awareness of certain degrees: like the ones which alter my surroundings and make me feel like I am in a dream world are harder to remember and understand, as well as when I have sudden confusion I don't know what is going on or what happened until I come out of it (and often tired after both of these events) - but my jerks, and goose bumps I am completely alert from start to finish and remember everything (and have no tiredness afterwards).

Some of them do vary in awareness of certain degrees: like the ones which alter my surroundings and make me feel like I am in a dream world are harder to remember and understand, as well as when I have sudden confusion I don't know what is going on or what happened until I come out of it (and often tired after both of these events) - but my jerks, and goose bumps I am completely alert from start to finish and remember everything (and have no tiredness afterwards).[/QUOTE]

This is like a form of memory loss and it's like day dreaming as your mind cuts off...i'm awake like yourself but remembering is another issue with me as I can't remember all the time....you have so many conflicting issues going on I really feel for you :hugs:

I have simple complex, partial complex and tonic clonic.

During a simple complex I may get dizzy, confused, blurred vision, sometimes my lips might tingle and I'll have trouble talking. I usually always know when I'm having/had these.

During a complex partial I'll black out. I may just stay in one place, stare into no where, smack my lips together, pick things up and play with them and try to talk but it just comes out as mumbles. Sometimes I'll get up and walk around. I almost never know when I've had these. The only way that I know, unless there is someone there to see me have it, is when I may be in one room then 10 or 15 minutes later realize that I'm in another room and don't remember going there. I usually have a very bad headache after these.

I very rarely have a tonic clonic, maybe once a year, but I will shake very bad during them. I may fall to the ground if I'm standing up when I'm having it or if I'm sitting I'll fall over.

I had a complex partial a few months ago that you might get a kick out of. Every morning I get up, feed the cats, go to the bathroom then get back in bed. One morning I remember taking my meds, feeding the cats and being on the toilet. I'm not sure if I remember going back to bed or not because I'm usually half asleep when I do all this in the morning. When I woke up in the bed a little while later I couldn't move that well, I thought that I had the sheets twisted up around my legs. When I pulled the sheets down I saw that my underwear was down around my knees. I must have had the seizure while I was on the toilet then just got back in bed during it. I only hope I wiped!

I personally thought I knew when I was about to have a grand mal seizures but I would have about 7-15 simple partial seizures. I was just still half conscious.

My seizures vary in length and how conscious I am. Sometimes I just "wake up" from the seizure (I sit perfectly still when it happens) and realize I missed a part of a movie, conversation etc. Other times I am aware of 'a cloud that passes in my head' and I can't respond but I hear that people are talking, I just can't answer them. Sometimes my eyes are rolling and my jaw is moving. I also have myoclonic jerks out of nowhere (at least that's what I think it is??) and complete different seizures at night and I don't have PNES. One thing they all have in common is that I am very tired and confused both before and after my seizures.

Sweet Pea mine changed in part because my medical situation changed a lot. I was in a car accident and had a head injury--I had no seizures for 35 years and that brought them back and seemed to cause a new type to start. Then I started whole new drugs that seemed to introduce new seizure types on their own. I'm not saying seizures don't change over time on their own, since I know mine have changed in the past few months as I've had other medical problems but sometimes seizure changes can be due to other changes in your own physiology.

Back
Top Bottom