im confused... can someone help me out ? :/

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

shayne

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone ! I am new here and I had a question to ask all of you, but before i do i want to tell you a bit of my history. Two years ago, i got the flu and passed out and hit my head on the doorknob of my washroom. Since I passed out and I was aline, i dont really know what happened. Then i passed out a second time and I had a seizure for sure this time, because my mum was in front of me and she saw it happen. Ever since I had the flu, I've been having continuous headaches and a feeling if dissassociation, where I feel as if I'm physically present but mentally not. To put it in easier, more understandable terms, its more like theres a piece of cardboard between my thoughts and my consciousness. Okay even more confusing, but you get the gist of it. So then, i went to the doctor and she reffered me to a neurologist, who then reffered me to get a eeg and an mri done. When the results for the eeg came back, it said that there was epileptic behavior, quoting straight from my doctor. She also said that it wasn't 100% certain, but yeah..im really worried and confused because i dont know whats going on. I have a week until my MRI and 3 weeks until my next neurologist appointment. I cant do anything i normally do anymore. Help please !!!

Hello Shayne,

What is most important and should give you reassurance is the doctors are looking to see what’s up; glad you are seeing a neurologist.

If they see anything serious on MRI they will call you sooner…My Son has E and like u they see seizure activity on his EEG, but his MRI came back perfect, so please try not to jump to conclusions before all testing is done…He a college student doing his thing ;)

Once they pull all the data together and potentially a come with a diagnose – your neurologist (and you by awareness and being open to educate yourself) can start you on a path to healing.

In the meantime, breath real deep (healing thoughts, for me that’s prayer) and try remind yourself that right now all you can do is being done. The immense stress (that u should let go of) could be adding to your symptoms.

Highly recommend a seizure dairy, even a note book that you can write very odd feeling, sensation, anything out of the norm write it down and put a date and time beside it, it will help when you see the doctors for follow up. Can leave on kitchen table and in fact anyone in family can make a note if they see something out of the ordairy.

Watch what you eat and drink, try be super healthy and no sport/diet drinks and no junk food....

keep us posted...

Welcome to CWE Shayne,
Seizure diary for sure; date, time, and what you did that day (ie: worked overtime, was running on little sleep from the night before, etc.) You may not have done anything or went anywhere out of the ordinary but if not, then put just that ('totally normal day, feel great, etc.').
I agree with Chaz about foods and being healthy, but only to a point. When it comes to the diary keep track of what you ate if it was something you don't eat every day (went for chinese, tried something new, etc.); diabetes is also something they look at closely when things like this happen, passing out, seizures, etc. (with epilepsy they test you for diabetes yearly for the rest of your life; one can be diagnosed as the other mistakenly). But, I wouldn't go so far as to avoid junk food and changing your life to 'super healthy' (unless you already are of course). The idea is to find out if you actually have epilepsy and what the cause is. There are many, many of us with E where food/drink has nothing to do with the cause, and like I said that is the whole point - to find out what caused the seizure. If you enjoy chips, eat chips. Sometimes changing your life drastically will increase seizure activity as well. If you stop eating what you enjoy and have a seizure, they still won't know if that's the cause, epilepsy is a lot more intricate than that.
Hopefully you have people in your daily life that will be there and listen, let you get your frustrations out, vent, cry, whatever you need. If you don't, we're all here for anything you want to discuss. BIG HUGS, good luck with your MRI, and keep us posted!!

Hi Shayne, welcome to CWE!

It sounds like something is going on neurologically, so it's good that you are seeing the docs and working on getting answers. The dissociation could be a kind of seizure called a "Simple Partial" where you don't lose consciousness, but do experience strange sensory episodes. Since the EEG showed abnormal brainwaves that indicate epilepsy, the doctors may recommend medication to see if that helps with the symptoms you've been experiencing.

I recommend that you write down any questions for the neurologist so that you're prepared when you see him next. And write down the answers too -- the more you can understand about what's going on, and what treatment might be the better.

Hang in there!

Best,
Nakamova

Oh wow, thanks everyone! I'm so happy theres so much support available ! :) the thing is though, this is my final year of high school and you can imagine how hectic things already are, with exams and summative assignment deadlines looming upon me, not to mention university applications and graduation. I feel like things are already crazy as they are, and this kind of added towards it, plus the suspense on just waiting is so difficult to deal with! My marks are plummetting so university is a doubt now :( luckily i have one more semester to go. why does life need to be so difficult arg!!!! I actually think the suspense of just waiting to get my results and see whats going to happen is difficult to deal with on its own. Thankfully my school is being very supportive and they are giving me as much support as they can. Im curious to know though, a few days ago I got so dizzy i thought i was going to pass out, because my head actually fell back and i started slipping off my seat. It was really odd, and scary since i was waiting for an interview and was riggt outside the door when this happened.Plus I get this feeling like theres water trickling down my head alot. Does this seem like an indicator to any of you, or am i just looking too much into it ?? Thanks ! :)

The dizziness and odd water-trickling sensation could be seizure-related. Be sure to mention them to the neurologist -- let the docs decide whether something is relevant or not. And do your best to eat properly and get good quality sleep -- if you are tired, hungry, or thirsty it can make dizziness worse.

Back
Top Bottom