I'm new and having problems with postictal aggression.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't have a smart phone either, all I did was put on my contact list the initials ICE and it's my mom. First responders and all those in EMS know to look for in a person's contact list for ICE now. Just make sure whomever you choose knows exactly how you are when you come out of a seizure. My last post-ictal I felt as if I stood right next to the speakers of an AC/DC concert, my ears were both ringing and I felt slightly deaf. I was diagnosed in '05, I had a seizure at the bedside, I worked in ICU. One minute I was assessing my patient, next minute I was waking up in the ER praying that I didn't wet my pants. Despite the fact they were checking me for a concussion given how hard I hit the floor, all I cared about was if I peed my pants, I just started at that hospital, after all first impressions...I had to give up nursing, I tried to go back, but with the effect of the meds and I would guess how a few grand mals fry several thousand neurons, my cognitive skills and ability to do the drug calculations at the bedside in a moments notice were gone. Even my short term memory was effected. Before the change in my insurance and I lost my favorite and one of the best neurologists, he suggested I get a ninetendo ds and get the type of games that have puzzles and brain teasers. It actually helped and if I keep up with it I'm OK. I was just recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia on top of the seizures so the fun never ends. Don't think I'll be returning to nursing anytime soon. But back to the question about ICE, when responding to calls when the patient is unresponsive, either a first responder not directly involved in patient care, usually the one assigned to the paperwork or a police officer will retrieve the cell phone and look for the emergency contact and by that they look for ICE. Having the grand mals I always get the severe muscle pain for like a week after. I move around the house like I'm 90, I'm barely able to bend my limbs. I used to be a theatre tech (used to wear a lot of hats), I got caught between a cement wall and a grand piano breaking 4 ribs, I know that pain, there's just so long you can hold your breath. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom