I'm scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey Lainey,
I've never lost consciousness, lose time, lose my memory, or my ability to think and control my muscles, although my legs have been weak a few times lately, however that could be the endocrine problem we are trying to tease out with all these unpleasant tests next week. :-(

My first symptoms are usually panicky feelings, sadness and crying, and then depersonalization like I'm floating over my body. Lot's of de-ja-vu, too. I can usually continue to carry on a conversation with someone without them even knowing but the underlying fear is there and I have to grit my teeth and bear it. They pass in about 60 seconds to 2 minutes, which was one of the first reasons that the doc said it wasn't panic disorder because it goes away so quickly and they started around age 2. But then I want to just sleep for several hours, however I can stay awake if I have to. I also get some weird tics like flexing my fingers or blinking my eyes, and one doc said I might even have Tourettes Syndrome which 2 second cousins do have.

This week when my sister was trying to talk to me, I was just so foggy I could't have a conversation with her because she was asking so many questions about what to eat, how to fix it, etc. and I think I just shut her out. My husband, the nurse, thinks it was a seizure and the Keppra. He talked to one of the neuros at the hospital where he works and he said Keppra is hard to acclimate to at the dose I'm on and I might ask to start a much smaller dose next month when I try to get on it again. I just have soooo many things going on at the same time. Argghghg!

It's the emotional trauma that I suffer from from a lot. Where I live it has to be pretty much an incapacitating grand mal or the absence seizures before you are restricted from driving. I usually ride to work with my husband and back home anyway, and don't drive that much, mostly because some of the agoraphobia is still hanging on. I"ve gone months and months without ever even having an aura, it's just in the past several weeks that things have gotten out of balance and of course I haven't been driving at all because I'm NOT going to take that risk. They are already greatly reduced now that I've added a tiny bit of klonopin several times a day (used to be entirely controlled with small amount of klonopin), but I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to take that Keppra because it knocked me on my butt - I was SO drowsy and felt sooooo strange on it. I've gone years without even having a seizure and the neuro thinks that will happen again. It's probably the endocrine problem that is setting them off. He also told me to hold off on Keppra until I get the tests done.

So until I'm feeling LOTS better I'm not driving, even if it is legal, so not to worry. :)

I remember (term lightly used) I sat in a IEp meeting for 3 hours and missed the whole thing. I have rtl epil. and 2nd generalized. myoclonic seizure and on and on but I told my epileptologist that I felt I was losing time and he knew what I was talking about.And I take Keppra. Take the brand. And take it on time, it makes a big difference. It will make a difference for a while. But some good vitamans and I stress that. For your bones memory, and walks will help. Keppra the brand has helped my grand mal. I am also on vimpat. I walk around the house with some purose and sometime never figure it out.Good luck on this . I have good feelings about you and how its going to work out. Teresa

THANK YOU TERESA!!

I'm fortunate that I don't think my seizures are that serious, but the psychological trauma of being mis-diagosed most of my life, being ridiculed, turning down 3 college scholarships because I was too "nervous" to go, etc still affects me. My other medical problems are complicating things right now, too. I have some tests this week and am hoping some sort of diagnosis will come out of them. For now trying to just get the seizures to settle down with the Trileptal and .25 of Klonopin 4 times a day before I try the Keppra again in a few weeks. I'm glad to hear that it has helped you!

Back
Top Bottom