Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sp0ckward

New
Reaction score
Hello person(s) -- I am in question if anyone has experienced or knows of someone close to them that experiences atonic seizures. Also known as Drop Attacks.

I've always had these seizures since I was 7, but they had escalated when I turned 10 (as a child, I thought this happened to everyone because they were so habitual to my everyday life). They became more apparent when I was a teenager in high school and an adult in college.

Everyone's experience and symptoms with epilepsy is different. I feel blessed because Drop Attacks/Atonic Seizures are not as severe as, say, Grand Mal Seizures (understandably). Why I feel that they are less severe is that although the attacks can cause physical injury, I am conscious and fully aware. Nonetheless, they happen randomly and without warnings, which is frustrating and at points, is emotionally frustrating because even though I am conscious, I can't control / stop the fall except by protecting my face or head by putting my hands up to catch my fall. The damage was mostly on my knees during the summer due to falling on cement. Or, scalding my hands when I had one while holding coffee in the morning. At one point, I broke the lower bathroom faucet from the shower with my tailbone (fun times!) - this fall specifically 'woke me up' in the sense of medical attention. The interesting thing about this specific type of seizures is that they are very common in children, but are almost nonexistent in adults because usually children outgrow their symptoms and are "seizure-free" (whatever that means). This is frustrating because I haven't found anyone, who is an adult, who has these. It is very common to have tonic clonic or grand mal seizures, but I have never heard anything about atonic or drop attacks commonly mentioned.

I was officially 'diagnosed' at age 23-years-old, but still the doctor had strong suspicions of me having epilepsy because my MRI scan was normal, but my EEG had small evidence of small, but sharp spikes. The word "suspicion", in my mind at the time, gave me room to create a theory that I don't have epilepsy so, even though, the neurologist prescribed medication for the seizures, I didn't take it because I assumed I could control them by manipulating the triggers. Come three years later, I would randomly get drop attacks, even if my triggers were controlled.

What made me change my mind is that one day at work, I had three myoclonic ("jerks" or "ticks") seizures in a row. I hadn't eaten anything, so I went to the Café upstairs. On the way, I had a small Drop Attack, which made me drop my phone. On the way to the elevator, I had 'fainted' (for all I know). What woke me up is that I don't remember falling - I went unconscious. Although, I do remember walking to the elevator. Paramedics were called, but I wasn't taken to the hospital. It took a while for me to "come back" because I found a medium-sized bruise/gauge on the frontal lobe on top of my head. So, that woke me up!

I am currently on Lamotrigine and while it does control the drastic Drop Attacks/ Atonic Seizures, I still have the myoclonic "tick" seizures. This drug is commonly used for bipolar disorder and anti-seizure / Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (which is actually correlated with Atonic Seizures. I have had symptoms of my eyes being sensitive to fluorescent lights and recently, because of my increase (one pill AM and at PM), I suddenly am very alert, but then have a hard time waking up. This has caused me to be late to work, which I am planning to confront my doctor about in order to possibly find another alternative. (

Please let me know if you have had any experiences or stories in regard to my story. :ponder:

Hi sp0ckward,

I've had myoclonic seizure and drop attacks but they ended after my Dr. put me on vimpat. I had to have a sleep study done along with an e.e.g. and e.k.g. all at the same time and they found I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning and this is why I felt so tired. You may be having the same problem so you may want to ask your Dr. to do a sleep study on you along with a e.e.g. at the same time.
In regards to certain lights triggering seizures you may be photosensitive which means certain colors will trigger seizures. My neuro did a special e.e.g. on me and flashed different color strobe lights one at a time and found out what colors were triggering seizures, just like you flourscent green was the worst along with amber and bright white like the sun shining on the snow.
Your seizures may have become more apparent in your teens because of hormones changing and puberty. That's what triggered a lot of seizures for me when I was younger. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey Spockward --

I don't have experience with drop seizures, but I do use Lamictal. My first few months I had intense nightmares and very restless sleep, and was hyperalert during the day. I wasn't sure whether to stay on it. But then those side effect went away after a month at a steady dose and haven't been a problem since. So if you can hang in there you may find that your sleep improves. Everyone's different though -- if the side effects increase or remain problematic, then of course talk to your neuro about finding a med that might work better.

Have you looked into trying the Modified Atkins Diet as a treatment? It may also be worth discussing with your neuro.

Hi sp0ckward,

I've had myoclonic seizure and drop attacks but they ended after my Dr. put me on vimpat. I had to have a sleep study done along with an e.e.g. and e.k.g. all at the same time and they found I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning and this is why I felt so tired. You may be having the same problem so you may want to ask your Dr. to do a sleep study on you along with a e.e.g. at the same time.
In regards to certain lights triggering seizures you may be photosensitive which means certain colors will trigger seizures. My neuro did a special e.e.g. on me and flashed different color strobe lights one at a time and found out what colors were triggering seizures, just like you flourscent green was the worst along with amber and bright white like the sun shining on the snow.
Your seizures may have become more apparent in your teens because of hormones changing and puberty. That's what triggered a lot of seizures for me when I was younger. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thank you Sue for responding! I really appreciate it. :)

The lights trigger and the tiredness comes from the drug, not the actual symptoms from my seizures. When I wasn't on medication (I was only placed on medication three weeks ago because I didn't believe I had epilepsy and tried to control it without being medicated), I would have these randomly and with no source as to what triggered it. I have been able to place lack of sleep, hangovers (alcohol), lack of protein / nutrient / food as hangovers, but even when these are controlled, I have had seizures with no connection to these. Because one of lamotrigine's side effect(s) is drowsiness in the morning and insomnia at night, that might be effecting why I have been having small seizures (this is a side effect without medication of my seizures, so this is a natural assumption), which are not as severe as drop attacks. The drug has controlled my drop attacks though, which I am very happy with, but I would like to find a drug that has manageable side effects that don't effect my everyday life and career (I am planning to go back to school as to become a Paralegal, but I am cautious if I should resolve the seizures first before proceeding with the career step).

Thank you for the birth control option / advise. I will look into that to see if that's an option.

Hey Spockward --

I don't have experience with drop seizures, but I do use Lamictal. My first few months I had intense nightmares and very restless sleep, and was hyperalert during the day. I wasn't sure whether to stay on it. But then those side effect went away after a month at a steady dose and haven't been a problem since. So if you can hang in there you may find that your sleep improves. Everyone's different though -- if the side effects increase or remain problematic, then of course talk to your neuro about finding a med that might work better.

Have you looked into trying the Modified Atkins Diet as a treatment? It may also be worth discussing with your neuro.

I have heard about Ketogenic Diet, but when I asked a nutritionist about this - this was three years ago when I was originally diagnosed with epilepsy - she didn't see any connection with food and seizures, which in my opinion, explains that she didn't have any knowledge about seizures or epilepsy. I told her that one of my triggers sometimes is if I don't have protein or fiber ("good food") in the morning. I was hoping to control my seizures in an alternative way, that didn't involve medication.

I have also heard that Cannabis controls atonic / drop attack seizures, as well as seizures in general. In my experience, weed makes me extremely tired or I have no effect. One experience I felt like I was going to throw up, nauseous and had a strange vision effect. I don't know how this works if you have a 9-5 job, or how you take the 'dosage' - it sounds more like a personal use of medicating oneself. I have (social) anxiety, so I have been looking into this as to control my anxiety, but otherwise I am functioning.

I am most likely going to bring up the side effects to my neurologist this coming Monday when I call him in regard to the results of my last EEG. It should be noted that lamotrigine is the generic version of the drug that you are on. I don't know if you are at a consistent dose every day, but for me, I was prescribed to increase my dose every two weeks. The first week, I was really good and had small "ticks", but they were insignificant. With the increase of 2 pills / per day (1 in AM, 1 in PM) it seems to have increased the "tick" seizures. I have also researched that the increase of the medication for lamotrigine is to avoid a life-threatening skin rash that might develop if you take lamotrigine at a consistent dose.

I'll look into the diet you mentioned. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm actually also on the generic Lamotrigine, and at a consistent dose. But I think you're right that if your "tick" seizures increasing on the Lamotrigine, that is a rgood eason to consider a switch.

The Modified Atkins Diet is considered a less extreme diet than the ketogenic diet, but the basic principals are more or less the same (high fat, low carbs). You can read a bit about it here: http://atkinsforseizures.com/

Back
Top Bottom