Keppra and alcohol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Im on Keppra XR, and rarely do I ever drink. I might have a strawberry daiquiri wine cooler, but its rare. Im not a huge drinker, But anytime I do have a drink, I dont think it affects me much to cause a seizure or anything.

Thanks Kristen!!i was never a big drinker, social drinker and could only handle two. I was on topomax for a year and did not drink at all because it made the alcohol taste horrible. After two sips I felt drunk and the alcohol tasted like metal so I just gave it up. I started keppra 5 days ago and thought maybe I would give it try. So far I feel ok, emotional and moody but I haven't taken it out on anyone. I hope it's a winner :))

I also get curious when I'm put on a new med what it might interact with but IMHO you shouldn't test the interactions with alcohol until you're sure of how the side-effects on their own effect you first.

Ya I got scared and didn't! It was my husbands birthday tonight and we went out to dinner and I thought maybe one. Ya chickened out! Just as well. Had a great time without it. My husband doesn't drink at all so no biggie. I did get really angry with the navigation system though trying to find the restaurant. Out of my character. I was like a total drama queen! I hope I don't have kepprarage!

Not everyone gets full on keprage but increased impatience is also a side-effect.

Many people have lessened or gotten rid of it by using vitamine B6. When I was on Keppra I couldn't because I was too spaced out to remember (or even notice the notes I'd left for myself the night before) to take it

Are you also taking a vitamin B-6? I didnt know anything about it, til my dr brought it up when he switched me over to the Keppra XR. I was taking the regular Keppra before then, and I noticed I was always on "edge" with things. I could easily get frustrated over the stupidest little things. But since taking the Vitamin B-6, I noticed Im more relaxed and not as "moody" as I was before.

I dont know if its the same thing.. I was just told by my dr that if I get moody, to try the Vitamin B-6. I do also take a Vitamin B- Complex in the morning, along with the Vitamin B-6, and my Keppra XR. Maybe some others here can be more helpful!

Alcohol is not a trigger for my seizures so I do drink occasionally- when I drink while not on meds I get wacky and funny...when I am on my Lamictal and my Keppra if I drink, I get wacky and funny but I also get strange distortions; I experience things as though they are in fast-forward, or I hear strange noises...people clapping, a doorbell ringing, footsteps running, etc. when things are silent.

I know our meds are hard on our livers/kidneys so I drink at most 3 drinks once a month.

Anyone else get things like this if/when they drink?

I think lamicatal and keppra are eliminated through the kidney, not effecting our liver. Yah! I believe this is better than drugs effecting the liver, my dr thinks so too.

As far as drinking, I have only drank twice on topomax and I couldn't get past two sips/gulps and I already strongly felt drunk. It scared me do I stopped. Now I'm switching to keppra and I might try again, later. Weird thing though, even with that little amount of alcohol the effects lasted all night. Something doesn't seem right. In fact I got a migraine on one of the occasions.

I'm a senior in college, and on Keppra. I do drink a few beers about once a week, and have not had any negative side effects. It is only a few (3-4) over a couple hours, I am very much a social drinker as the rest of my buds are binge drinking. However, I only average about one tonic clonic seizure every other month. I have spoken to neurologist, alcohol lowers your seizure tolerance, making it easier for you to have a seizure.

I'm not a liquor drinker usually (beer is my usual poison of choice) but those times when I get those odd distortions and "sound effects" I'd been drinking good old Jameson whiskey haha They are almost like auras except they aren't my type...my usual is numb hands/feet and nose/cheeks and a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I'm going to "experiment" (this idea of mine sounds bad to me already haha) with drinking and these odd effects as well as keep a close watch on my seizure diary to see if my TCs get worse...that's a very interesting concept that I'd never spoken to my neurologist/epileptologist about. I suppose any difference in brain function would cause a lower seizure threshold. They told me that I should drink decently sparingly but that it was alright if I did drink.

I'm a senior in college, and on Keppra. I do drink a few beers about once a week, and have not had any negative side effects. It is only a few (3-4) over a couple hours, I am very much a social drinker as the rest of my buds are binge drinking. However, I only average about one tonic clonic seizure every other month. I have spoken to neurologist, alcohol lowers your seizure tolerance, making it easier for you to have a seizure.

Hello fellow Buffalonian :rock: I am on a Ox/Keppra cocktail. I drink minimally, maybe one or two a month, but wanted a few during the playoffs yesterday. I had 3 beers and found nothing off or odd. I too only have a seizure about every 8 weeks since the first one back in March of last year. Has anyone ever told you why they seem to run on a schedule like that?

hey. i'm on keppra and have a drink. my tolerance is lowered i have noticed, i usually watch how i drink though and try not to go overboard but have done on occasion and have been fine. saying that i wouldnt drink loads often or anything. i tend to stick to a couple of glasses of wine a week

Hello to the Keppra users and the occasional drinkers. I have simple complex seizures and was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I am 32 years old and I still havent found the right meds for me. All though I have been prego for the last 3 years so my body has been up and down with hormones. I am on carbortrol and lamictal and then I was doing good and had another seizure 3 months ago and I asked the dr to see about Keppra. I couldnt really tell about the mood swings since I am home with a 2 year old and 6mo old but I hadnt had any episodes and one night went out had some drinks and were celebrating my bros engagement and had a couple of shots nothing that I havent done before and then the next day felt find took my meds at the usual time later that afternoon got really aggravated with the hubby and had a sezuire. This time he taped me so he could show the dr exactly what I am doing and it was very heartbreaking for me. then I come to find out a lot of people have this side effect with Keppra. I feel like I want to start from scratch and dont think Keppra is for me.
Does anyone take any anxiety medicine with their epilepsey meds? and any thoughts

I think the seizure meds are enough. I think the anxiety and/or depression could be a side effect to our medication. If we take yet another poison (anxiety med) then we would have to deal with those side effects as well. Unless you have battled with anxiety before seizure life then I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom