Keppra / levetiracetam

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Billy,
That is actually a very low dosage of Keppra. I have been on it since beginning of 2008 when I got diagnosed. Neuro started me at 500 mg twice of day. He said that is what he starts everyone off on. I have been doing pretty good...but still having a seizure out of the blue months since last one. He has gradually increased my dosage. I saw him today and he upped it to 1250mg twice a day. He said generally 3000mg a day is maximum he does in most patients. He also does blood check when I first started Keppra..I think it was either 60 or 90 days after he first started to check Keppra level in my blood. He also do blood work before he ups my dosage.
jenn

I'm already on 500 twice a day myself Billy. I am finding it's helped though for my myoclonics still, so I'm remaining hopeful.
Although, my mood is terrible :(

Rhiz- what I would do is you're having side-effects with your mood, is to tell your doctor and see if you might change to something else. Or if he/she believes that its only temporary, then you could just kinda wait it out for the first week or so. While starting Keppra a few years ago- I was sleepy for the first two weeks, then it went away. I know for each person the side-effects will be different. I am on Keppra XR 3000mg, Tegretol XR 600mg (will get off of it in a few months) and recently added Lamictal at 200mg. With each of those, I just read up on the allergic reaction symptoms and nothing else. I would rather know what to keep an eye out for than to read into all of the side-effects. Because I am one of those people that tend to worry too much- so if I don't read the side-effect list, then I don't worry so much and make myself scared too fast.
I don't like being on three meds- but whatever I had to do to get my seizures under control, the better.

I wish you luck with your Keppra. I have noticed that Keppra XR tends to keep the medication level all day. I used to be able to feel the Keppra ware off around 12hrs after I took it.

Remember- if you have any question or concerns about taking Keppra, ask your neuro about it and tell them what you're worried about, or what is bothering you, symptom wise.

Take care,
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom