Ladies only...catamenial question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

when i had my baby i took sezure on the first day of my period not every month but every other month! .... i dunno if its gone now but i started getting the depro injection! which it might have helped since i dont get periods while im on it. could be an idea for you but its not long term as of course it effects ur bones :(

Thanks for the input! Depo-provera is progesterone based and prevents estrogen from building up but I guess with this method he is suggesting it is getting rid of all my hormones altogether. He'll then provide a level amount of hormones without any roller coaster action of any hormone that would occur naturally any other way, be it progesterone or estrogen.
It will last only one month though.
Thanks for thinking of another option though!

Okay, hope everything goes well. And thanks for being the guinea pig. :)

LJ: Did you see the thread that Jonesy just started. This may be another option for you. It is not available in the US, but I did find really positive info on Epilepsy.com plus the positive from Jonesy.

I did see that....thanks so much for thinking of me. As always!

Last edited:
I took depo provara before and after I had epilepsy.

Sorry I don't remember how long I was on it before I had epilepsy but it's been 9 years that I was on it after I was diagnosed. The the main reason I went on it was because my peirods were not regular and very bad. I was on the pill at first, which regualted them. But they were still bad. I'd have the worst pms, cramps, etc... My gyno suggested depo which would stop my periods and everything else.

I had to go off of it when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy but I got back on it shortly after, with in a few months. I talked with my gyno and neruo about this and both of them said that it was ok.

Almost a year ago I had a hysterectomy, I'm 35. I did this mainly because I didn't want to have kids and I know that there is that small percentage of people that might get pregnant when taking birthcontrol and with my luck I'd end up being one of those people.

I'm having the same ammount of seizures that I did before I stopped taking the depo and having the hysterectomy, so I don't think the depo had anything to do with causing them.

It's good to hear the negative and positive sides. I'm still going to go ahead with the Z. treatment for one month. It is totally expensive and already ordered but thankfully insurance pays for most of it.

My periods made my epilepsy so bad. grumpy , visous, like a mean dog, but always the day before my period I would get lots of energy, get all this cleaning done, of course don't look at the calander and the next day you would think I was bleeding to death and I would have a really bad grand mal. So I finally got on the mirena.I can't take hormones. And now I don't usually have any kind of period. Check it out!

I have Mirena, did it help you with your seizures? I still get my period. I don't know what that means.

50%still have there periods. But mine were so bad.pre menop.
so for me having next to nothing periods or no periods at all I have lowered my seizures quite alot.And the pill did not work for me because they were full of horemones which also created more grand mal seizures in me.

i get a bit of a period every 3ish months on depo.... i hope its working ok but it should be..... im just so happy to not have a period for a while its great defo worth it but i keep thinking on that narrowing of the bone u can get it kinda scares me.

catamenial

Hi All,

there has been some development in my jorney, wanted to share with you. First of all, the prometrium pill did not work for me, neither the progesterone cream. I actually felt worse on prometrium.

Following some reading though, I went to endocrinologist, had some blood tests. It came out that I have a hypothyroid (the reason for me being so desperately tired all the time), and PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrom). So I was started on thyroxine (for thyroid), and inositol for PCOS. I did some research and it looks like my metabolic problems could be the ones contributing to my seizures. So I cross my fingers and am waiting for my next ovulation and period to see if I would still get my seizures. Will report then.

Thanks for the update -- hope the new meds make you feel better, and keep the seizures at bay too.

Back
Top Bottom