Lamictal and hair loss??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi all. Am new to the forum. I'm on lamictal, 200 mg 2x day. In some ways I'm lucky. Temporal lobe seizures, focal only. Lamictal has made me feel so much better, I'm scared to change. but the hair loss! I've always had really thick hair. Now if any more comes out I'll be bald on top. Have tried the hair loss supplements (biotin, selenium, etc), take a multivitamin regularly, and have gone to my gp to have bloodwork. I did find out I'm borderline low on thyroid so have started that med. I'm hoping it helps. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

How long have you been taking it?

I had some hair loss in the beginning but it's fine now. I've been on it for at least 2-3 years and am not losing any abnormal hair loss. Some of it could be your thyroid.

Even if you are borderline low IMO, the thyroid should be treated aggressively The recommend normal range has recently changed and many doctors aren't up on this yet. They told me my thyroid level was fine even though it was just in range. Now it fluctuates between 1.5 and point 094 and I feel much better and hair loss is minimal. Selenium can boost thyroid health.

Hi. I know that I lost most of my hair (85% of it) in an allergic reaction to Tegretol--over 30 years ago. What little hair was left is now falling out thanks to Topamax.

I've been on Lamictal for 7-8 months. I thought it had leveled off. Until a few weeks ago. I've got so much going on right now I can't tell if it's the Lamictal again or the thyroid or stress (city sewer backed up in my house and I literally have had to replace all floors in bottom of my house). Probably all three. but if it doesn't stop soon, the bald head will add to the stress. I'll check with my dr. on the thyroid levels. Anyone know how long that takes to kinda kick in? How much selenium do you take?

Hi. I know that I lost most of my hair (85% of it) in an allergic reaction to Tegretol--over 30 years ago. What little hair was left is now falling out thanks to Topamax.

Wow, I didn't know that could happen from an allergic reaction. I didn't know that Topamax caused hair loss either. Drugs suck.

I've been on Lamictal for 7-8 months. I thought it had leveled off. Until a few weeks ago. I've got so much going on right now I can't tell if it's the Lamictal again or the thyroid or stress (city sewer backed up in my house and I literally have had to replace all floors in bottom of my house). Probably all three. but if it doesn't stop soon, the bald head will add to the stress. I'll check with my dr. on the thyroid levels. Anyone know how long that takes to kinda kick in? How much selenium do you take?

In the beginning they test thyroid levels every 3-6 months. They start out on the lowest dose and then increase as needed. They should base the tyroid level on the test results AND the way you feel. Too many doctors just go by test levels. The last time I saw my neuro, she told me just because the test says the levels are good doesn't mean that is a good level for me. I wish more of my doctors were like her.

She is into supplements and practices a little eastern medicine too.

I take 200 mcg of selenium.

Back
Top Bottom