Lamictal XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just began Lamictal XR today. I was on Lamictal 100mg 2x daily. I was given the same dosage for both which is 200mg. Since my issue is upon waking, I take the XR at lunch and it lasts about 27 hours (they tell me this is conservative). The transition is a slow and painful process as you get to go through all of the "new med" (side effects, muscle twitches, etc) stuff again. Yet, it should be worth it in the end. It's the only way for me to begin titration down. ___LMT

That's interesting to hear, since I'm holding off on switching to the Lamictal XR right now. I'm also on the regular at 100mg 2x daily. Let me know if the side effects eventually are lessened on the XR -- that and the convenience of the once-a-day dose might make me reconsider switching.

I, as well, took a lot of time to decide on the switch. Even with this only being my second day, I'm finding a difference. My issues are only in the morning (upon rising) and I felt much better this morning. Side effects have slowed down and I like the 1x per day. I take it at 12p (it lasts a minimum of 27 hours) and it covers my morning fine.
See if you can try it out----I was told that NO increase in meds was necessary--especially with the diet mods I've made.---LMT

Can I ask which side effects have improved?
Thanks!

I take Keppra, but my doctor tried the Keppra XR. One of the main reasons my neuro suggested the XR was that there is no generic for it and I had problems on the generic Keppra. I really really liked only taking it once a day...but I had a problem with hair loss and had to go back to Keppra.

Side Effects

OK---I think I figured out what happened yesterday. There was still a bit of the regular Lamictal in my system and I was a bit drugged on the changeover. This caused a bit of muscle twitching, a headache and tiredness. All has subsided as of today. I expect to find a bit more die off of side effects that I haven't noticed as of yet.
The 1x daily (and one pill) works wonders for me. When you bring down the amount of pills it's as though you're beginning the downward titration. As with everything, it's a head game.
Good Luck---LMT

Back
Top Bottom