Low Blood Sugar

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You are very kind. I have learned a lot, and hopefully it will help others in the process.
I am thankful that it occurred while she was still in my care. I am also thankful that this occurred when we have had access to the internet for research.

Magnesium is very important for cellular function.

My younger son dx with a.s. is definitely hypoglycemic. We have finally gotten the ok at school for him to have snacks frequently during the day. (He's 8 in 3rd grade). He's a different kid after he eats. He also takes magnesium and calcium, multivitamins, Bcomplex, and is currently being treated for candida. Any other suggestions?

So sorry kidart - I just now saw your post. They do get buried at times, if I don't keep up.

I hope your son is doing well. I have found with my daughter that the snacks given have to be of the healthy variety. Working very hard to have her reduce the amount of refined products she uses. That would help your son too, if he has candida. We have a few posts on this subject. My daughter seems to be prone to this though, they tell me no since the "tests" show up negative. As a mom I know different, as it shows up in various ways around her body.

I personally wouldn't waste my $$ on a multi vitamin. I also would not take a calcium supp. There are far too many good ways to get that from food. I was told by a very respectable doctor that the calcium hype is media and Biz driven. Magnesium needs to be supplemented because it is being farmed out of our soils, and is no longer found in much of our food.

Biotin I have researched and found that it is a necessary natural process in the gut for yeast control.

I give Vit D (my daughter tested low) and it is good for inflammation, and the immune system. A good Omega and good fats such as Coconut Oil is also something you should look into. Have you tried a probiotic?

Let me know what else you have learned.

sugar & epilepsy link

does anyone have further information on the sugar/epilepsy relation? Id like to find out more info as my doctors just like to push more medication rather look at the root cause.

Hi elizabeth8211, welcome to CWE!

It can be tough to find the primary root cause for an individual's seizures, which is why the neurologists like to push the meds instead. But if you keep a seizure/symptom diary you may at least be able to identify your secondary triggers, and hopefully avoid them where possible. For many folks, these can include things like low blood sugar, nutritional imbalances, food additives, food sensitivities, etc.

In addition, there's a known link between sugars-as-carbs and seizures. Two diets that are used to treat epilepsy are the Ketogenic Diet and the Modified Atkins Diet (both of which restrict carbs.) You can read about those diets at the links below:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=ketogenic-diet
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=modified-atkins-diet

As well as generally in the Diet subforum:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f39/

Feel free to post a new thread with any questions you have about dietary approaches.

Best,
Nakamova

Another "diet" is the Low Glycemic Index diet. I believe Bernard's wife Stacy has followed this with good results.

Back
Top Bottom