medical marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I smoke for my epilepsy and it works great I find. I used to be on a lot of different meds that didn't control the seizures (nocturnal mostly) so I went back to marijuana. I think it helped before I had seizures, it was when I stopped that I had seizures. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one that supports this, and only this, therapy. Everyone else wants pills to be part of the solution. Either way I'm using both. I'm allergic to most, so am just on a small dose of Lamictal, then I add in the pot. It's given me no problems in almost a year, on just the Lamictal I had seizures regularly and none since I added the pot. More than the seizure control it helps the stress, anxiety and all that goes along with a constantly over worried family. I get headaches, shakes (legs keep moving) and stress without it. I say it's a great relief, if not remedy, for epilepsy and all related effects.

I think it helped before I had seizures, it was when I stopped that I had seizures. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one that supports this, and only this, therapy. Everyone else wants pills to be part of the solution. Either way I'm using both.

From what you describe the marijuana could very easily be the cause of your seizures.

I don't know about the U.S. but I know in Canada if a doctor thinks that marijuana would be helpful you can get a subscription for medical marijuana. You should look into that if you think it will help. There are even THC pills that were researched for medical uses.

Marijuana does not cause seizures or I would have them a hell of a lot more, lol.

Marijuana can cause seizures for some folks, particularly if they stop using abruptly. Because marijuana can mimic chemicals in the brain that have an anti-seizure effect, withdrawing that protective effect can be traumatic for the brain -- much in the same way that stopping AED meds cold turkey can cause seizures for some. But there's a wide variety of responses to marijuana, and the least potent varieties are the ones that tend to have the most neuro-protective effect. So your mileage may vary :)

Marijuana does not cause seizures or I would have them a hell of a lot more, lol.

Actually, once I got past a certain age in my mid 20's I was guaranteed a severe seizure (by my standards) the morning after I smoked.

Marijuana can cause seizures for some folks, particularly if they stop using abruptly. Because marijuana can mimic chemicals in the brain that have an anti-seizure effect, withdrawing that protective effect can be traumatic for the brain -- much in the same way that stopping AED meds cold turkey can cause seizures for some. But there's a wide variety of responses to marijuana, and the least potent varieties are the ones that tend to have the most neuro-protective effect. So your mileage may vary :)

I will have a seizure if I go without lamictol, so if going without weed has the same effect than I still choose the marijuana because at least it's natural and has no negative side effects and helps with those associated with the lamictol (which I still take in addition).

I've partaked in the herb for 25 yrs. Mj has no side effects? Surely you're kidding. Let's see, some side effects I have are dry mouth, irritated eyes, increased appetite, lack of motivation, just to name a few...

Of the 2 big tonic clinics I had before I was diagnosed, one was when I was smoking very frequently. The other was 2 weeks after I had tried to quit. So for me it's 50/50 if I was intending to use it as the only seizure medicine.

But yea, just like there's no one drug that works for everyone, including mj, it's good to have many other med options.

But marijuana has no side effects? If it had none, no one would smoke any. :p

I take a combination of 200mg of lamictal a day and use medical marijuana. When I'm in situations with increased core body temperature and fluorescent lights, marijuana is the only thing that prevents my seizures. I find the strain sour diesel has the best results. Not new york sour diesel, but clone only sour diesel. It smells like diesel gasoline but WORKS AMAZING FOR EPILEPSY. Again, in my experience, hands down better than any other strain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom