Medication sensitivity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm also sensitive to meds. I was just diagnosed a month ago, so we are still working our way through the list, but so far I am on med 5. I tried trileptal and it made my seizures worse. They gave me keppra in the hospital and I had awful side effects. Same with another med they gave me in the hospital. They sent me home with clobazam. It's reducing the number overall, but it's making my seizures a lot worse. So now they are trying to get me off the clobazam and onto zonogran. And I'm a freshman in high school, so I've been juggling the stupid attendance rules, make up work, my seizures, and trying to have some semblance of a normal life. The attendance was finally taken care of but I have something like 15 absences this semester and I was at risk for losing credit for all my classes. All related to seizures!

Emerald,
Keep your chin up. You might think about going on home study till you get things leveled out. Stress and Epilepsy does not mix well together. The more stress and drama you can remove yourself from right now will really help you.

Like you, I am sensitive to any medications. I can not take the normal dose of anything. When I start on a new drug, I have to start slowly and low dose. It's all trial and error. So many times I've had bad side effects and I would look up the medication online and there under "Toxic" or "Overdose" would be my symptoms. I would then either cut back on it or quit and my symptoms would disappear.

I've been on the modified Atkins diet for about two months now and it's brought my seizure numbers down to around 3-4 a day instead of 15. So it's definitely helping! The only bad thing is that my seizures can last anywhere from 10 min to two hours. Luckily, I can still function. It's just much more difficult. I am seeing my neuro in a couple weeks so I'm curious if they'll want to start a med. currently, I'm not on anything because of the severity of the side effects. Hope all you guys out there that are sensitive to meds are doing better! The diet isn't easy, but it's totally worth it for me!

Garbo, I have 200 mg CBD oil from Happy Hemp on line. OneDayAtATime put me onto them. I took it for just a few days when I realized that because I was going to have a VEEG soon it seemed sensible to keep it out of my system for the time being. I am just now about to get back to it.
Those few days I took it I was notably more relaxed, I thought. Good luck. [ I just want to mention how much I like your Ishiguro quote.]

Back
Top Bottom