Muscle spasms?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I will continue to post about this and I too hope to hear others' ideas and personal experiences relating to muscle spasms!!

A point of distinction learned from the MS chat groups, spasms refer to a clenching of the muscle, a long term, contraction. Apparently very painful.
I'm using the term spasm very loosely as my muscles are contracting and releasing constantly, in a rhythmic or non rhythmic way. I believe this is referred to as muscle twitches or fasciculations.

I don't want to thread jack, but since you asked I will go for it..

I have twitches as well that I don't understand.
They started after I began the lamictal, so thats my first guess. They are small quick muscle twitches that have occurred all over my body (but not at once of course )
It happens daily and they are not painful.

The biggest and only really powerful one was when I was sitting down in a chair, had my arms crossed, just chilling out talking. All of the sudden I had a muscle twitch,( jerk, whatever you want to call it) in my forearm that sent my arm flying in the air. If I remember correctly my husband had asked me a question around that time and said i was staring blankly, so I don't know about that one. :ponder:

I have a veeg next month and will be off the meds so I wonder if I will have the twitches during it.

None so far. Still in the testing phase. No others for any other condition either.
I do take a lot of supplements but nothing outrageous.

Oooh Pricilla, the last one sounds like a myoclonic seizure. Maybe we have similar conditions! :)

I haven't had any obvious seizures for over 40 years, but in doing the research I came to understand that auras are also seizures and I have definitely felt what I explained to my doctor as the precursor to the seizures I remember as a child. I guess I have had at least one in the last few years!

OK, I have read about seizure focus. As a child I had petit mals (absence seizures) and grand mals (tonic-clonic), I had the ones in between (simple partials?) that affected the muscles in my cheek/chin. Not sure where in the brain this would affect. Obviously motor control, so you're right it may be related.

Last edited:
Fasculations as you describe seem to be exactly what l have small individual or rolling muscle spazms. I have these very often.
They are not painful, they are not normally very strong. Occassionallly l get a bit of a tug of war feeling in my fingers and calves. Sometimes tho not often l get a very strong jerk that can throw my head back - or across my chest (one almost knocked me backward it was so strong) my husband actually saw that one l was walking into my daughers room where he was. l get what l would describe as a sort of electric tingling/feeling when these fascilations or jerks happen. The big ones sometimes take my breath away....????

StaceS, Did the fasciculations begin before or after you started your trial run of epilim?

Yes rolling muscle spasms is a good description. In the beginning of December I began to notice quite a few. Various locations usually legs but sometimes arms, eyelids and even one side of ribs. The sensation in my calves, has moved from distinct fascs to a continual feeling of stiffness and the facs from the rest of the body have almost disappeared. Nothing that has made my limbs jerk with the slight exception of one thumb a few times.

I get electrical tingling too but i don't associate it with the fasciculations. I get the occasional random waves of cool tingling that sweep up my legs, either singly or together.

I would love to hear if you get any relief from these symptoms with continued treatment!

Back
Top Bottom