My Personal N=1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Aloha,
What do you think about the change in dosage??
Especially since I told him it was working so beautifully.
I am a bit nervous, it will mean 25mg all together, and friendly HH guy said I should take 4-5 scoops of HH, which are about 22mg/scoop, daily when I reach the Promised Land...

Well, you have a completely different mix of the pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical remedies than I do. (Are you still on all the meds listed in your profile?) I'm not sure about the potential interactions between all of these.

What I can tell you about my experiences with MJ based remedies is that, if you find yourself sleeping in 'til noon, you probably took a bit too much the night before. It's kind of like cooking. Don't stress out over measuring things down to the last gram. Just add some until the mix tastes right. If you are feeling good and all is in balance, don't fix unbroken things.

Since both the HH and the CW stuff are low enough in THC to be legal in all 50 states, I would think that erring a bit on the side of a bit more rather than less while figuring out your optimal dose wouldn't hurt you a bit.

Of course, another hurdle, and another seizure

Thanks, I just find it all a bit, interesting....
Firstly, I was shocked at how quickly I saw a difference but hey I didn't complain.
Secondly, I just fell for the first time in weeks in the lobby of my bldg. luckily I was wearing the helmet.
Now, I have done some research and apparently a paper was published last summer in Epilepsia, my favourite journal titled:
DRUG-DRUG interactions between clobazam and cannabidiol in children with refractory epilepsy....
Well, at 56 I am not a child but my seizures are refractory and Clobazam is a benzodiazepine so I can't start playing around with it.
Interestingly, I was always on 30 mg but last year it was increased on one of my many visits to the E.R to 50 mg/day.

The article does say that "CBD is a safe and effective treatment of refractory epilepsy in patients receiving CLB treatment....."

It does not say how long the CBD stays in the body. I guess it is time to call John in Colorado, again!

Last edited:
It's too bad there has been so little research done on doses/forms/interactions etc. Maybe now that individual states are loosening restrictions the feds will start to allow nationally-funded research to occur.

Another hurdle??

Funny you should mention it....

I just googled EPILEPSIA and I found this.... Volume 56, Issue 8, August 2015

DRUG-drug interaction between clobazam (Onfi in America) & cannabidiol in children with refractory epilepsy.......

It does not say how long the CBD stays in the body. I guess it is time to call John in Colorado, again!
I would suspect that the metabolism rate would vary greatly from person to person based on age, size, gender, activity level, body comp, etc.

The good thing is that, even if it does hang around for a while, it's not hurting anything.

I'm having fun with my special chocolate bars............;)

and now I feel like a zombie, and I never clued in that something was up because I started going to bed at 8:30.
Last night I couldn't fall asleep after a solid few hours of seizures, back to back starting late afternoon.
I have no idea how to taper a benzo but I know it is not an easy task.

Deeds, generally with a benzo, you want to taper very, very slowly. Officially the recommended taper schedule for clobazam is to, once a week, decrease your total daily dose by 5-10 mg. But if you can stay at least two weeks at each increment, and have each increment be no more than 1/6 of the total dose, that should help minimize withdrawal issues. Make sure to consult your doc for guidance.

Yes, the fear of the benzo withdrawal is very real to me. Especially since I tried to wean Dilantin, very slowly and very unsuccessfully.Thanks for your help btw....
I am now on 50mg of Clobazam, when for the longest time I was only on 30.
I am now wondering a few things.....
Do you think it is safe to cut them or shall I have my pharmacist make a liquid compound which would give me a more precise measurement?
Also, my dose of CBD has been reduced from .5ml 3x daily to .5ml divided into 3.
I also wonder if I should stop the CBD for a few days, or weeks?
Eventually, being back at 30mg Clobazam would be a dream come true. And, on top of all this, I am supposed to be going away in a week.

THC can stay in the body for months. The half life of cannibinoids, from what I have read, ranges between 1 and 10 days. Some think even longer. The ranges are inconsistent depending upon the source.

In addition to a person's metabolism, other things which were mentioned were the frequency of use as well as the dosage. The half life for persons who use cannibinoids frequently is lower compared to those who use it infrequently.

This information was taken in part from a drug rehab site I visited. I don't remember which.

I am still interested in medical marijuana. I do not want to ever get "stoned." My cognition is too spotty as is. It would be nice to take my nervous system down a notch, since it is hyperexcitable due to my condition.

I met a man a while back who lost the use of his legs in a motorcycle accident. We chatted a bit. He said he used the marijuana primarily to relax. (This was before marijuana was legal in MN.)

I visited Holden's Hope website. Even at 7 cents per mg, it would not be affordable for someone like me.

My state is loosening guidelines for prescribing medical marijuana. This is in part because they did not have enough customers for their state run dispensaries. They are moving towards prescribing it for chronic pain, in addition to treating persons with E. ($$$.)

It is likely that it would be cheaper to go out of state, like Colorado. My state has an annual enrollment fee, and no competition. I don't think marijuana from other states is legal here. ($$$.) This is similar to the rhetoric hospitals use when you are their "guest." Only their pharmas are allowed.

I am still exploring.

I will let you guys be the guinea pigs. (smiley face)

Last edited:
My instinct would be that you don't want to mess with more than one thing at once. But there are a lot of different factors to consider, so your neuro is the best person to check with. In terms of making the Clobazam dose precise, your pharmacist should be a good resource -- ask him/her for an opinion. It can't hurt to be be extra-precise with the dose especially if you are sensitive to even minor changes.

Thrilled to be a Guinea Pig, though I am Jewish so the pig part is not applicable.....

Firstly, the substance you speak of, TCH is actually THC but it is the CBD that I have been talking about.
CBD is what is saving all those beautiful children, there is no THC, no high but it works wonders on Epilepsy.
CBD has many beneficial side effects and I was simply trying to get an exact mg count per unit, which I now have.
Luckily, Canada has wonderful medicinal marijuana legislation.

California is talking about following Colorado into having legal MJ even for recreational purposes. I really think the tide is finally turning on this issue nationwide. The laws are antiquated and our police forces have more important things to concentrate on other than someone wanting to smoke a little weed.

Hawaii is going to be getting dispensaries next year. WooHoo!

Well, since I have lowered the dose of CW I have been having nasty seizures, so I am now increasing it and I will hopefully return to that peaceful place I was in when I went a whole week without falling.
Seems that didn't last long, but I will hopefully get back there. I won't be the only gal in South Beach with a helmet on......

It's tricky finding that balancing point. The thing is I'm not sure the docs know any more about it than we do. They try stuff out, "Let's try increasing this dosage or lowering that one" but they are just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks, IMO.

I think I am finding a good balancing point with one heaping scoop of the Holden's hope plus a square of my magic chocolate bar before bed balanced against only 25% of the Rx for Valproic Acid. The first of next month I can quit that med entirely. One less pill bottle! Yay!

Not this again

Oh Aloha,

I am happy for you, nothing like good balance in this game which is really not a game at all especially if game are supposed to be fun.Also, my neurologist thinks THC is very important in this picture too, just not for travelling!!

I have been falling a lot, again. Really? I know exactly how much CBD I am taking, 25ml 2x daily so that when I switch to HH I will know what to do. I think each scoop is 25mg CBD.
How on earth am I going to get travel ready? Honestly...... I don't know.

Tell me about your chocolate!!!!

The chocolate brand name is "The 4,20 Bar"
In a one ounce bar, there is 4.2 grams of cannabis containing 120mg of CBD and 60mg of THC. The same company makes several bars in different ratios.

I also have mints that taste like Altoids but with a slight herbal aftertaste.

Well this makes it halfway through the month with no ill effects from the step back in meds. Next step on the first.

:woot:

Back
Top Bottom