Myoclonic jerks?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My husband's son, who is in his late 20's, will shake part of his body every so often. It's just a little twitch, maybe his arm or hand. It doesn't happen several times at once, maybe once an hour if even that often.

I know he doesn't have epilepsy and I don't think it anyone else on his side of the family has it.

I'm just wondering if these could be myoclonic jerks? I really don't know what they are like and I don't think I've ever had them.

Is he aware of them happening? Are they perhaps just a tic of some kind? Worth noting if they occur in times of stress
Also, myoclonic jerks or twitches can be peripherally-based; ie. caused by problems at the neuromuscular level. They are not necessarily brain-based.

My husband said it's more than just a tick, I didn't realize that. Memory's not that great, sure many of you know what that's like.

They went to a concert last night and while sitting there his whole body jerked. Sort of like when you hear a loud noise and something startles you. He didn't jump out of the seat though. The top of his body did a good size jerk. He elbowed my husband when he had one but his son didn't know he did it. The two of them were together for about 3 hours and he did it twice.

He's not sure if he knows his son knows he's doing it. My husband want's to bring it up to his son but he's not really sure how to do it. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom