Need help understanding abnormal EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My daughter recently did a VEEG. She is 9, and has significant cognitive issues, and a broad medical history. There has been talk about genetic/syndromic epilepsy because I have two kids with epilepsy, and other family members with issues. The report describes the pattern, but doesn't explain possibilities for why. I am wondering if the following jumps out to anyone dealing with a genetic/syndromic cause-

-Bursts of generalized, multifocal diffuse and irregular spike and wave discharges. Many of them were bursts of 3-4 Hz theta were seen with spikes intermixed.

-Central spikes show significant activation with sleep.

-Independent left centro-parieto-temporal spikes.

-Right central spikes where seen. The negativity field of discharges sometimes included left temporal and parietal regions.

Thanks for the help!

Hi gumfamily7, welcome to CWE!

Your best bet is to ask your neuro for his/her particular interpretation of the EEG. They will have access to contextual EEG info (when the spikes occur, how frequent, how long, which sleep phase, whether they're ictal or interictal, how they relate to wave patterns, etc.) that plays an important role in reading an EEG. In addition, EEGs in kids can be different than those for adults.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom