Now I think I have a UTI again

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
As you guys know I had my sleep study done on the 28th and according to the tech everything seemed normal. I have a VEEG on the 4th and now it seems I have another UTI. I've had alot of problems with my bladder and started some meds for that but it did't help at all. I did change my diet to include fresh fruits veggies and meat only. I'm tring to feel better and I always seem to just feel worse. Sorry for complaining I just feel like I have something crawling all through my body making me feel like running plus burning after going to the bathroom. Am I doing something wrong? The doctor is cutting me down to half of the kloripin for the veeg and then will take the kappra away when I get there. I just want to cry.

They haven't taken away the keppra yet. I've been taking in for awhile now and haven't had any uti while taking it but as I said I have had bladder problems just going all the time.

Just got back from the doctor.The infection is very bad. I've got meds.

In case you do start drinking Cranberry Juice

Make sure it has no sugar as that can contribute to infection.

Horsehead, as you may have seen from some of my posts I care for my elderly, bed-bound mother. She has an in-dwelling catheter as well as a lot of other supportive things and she has just one UTI after another after another after another..... As soon as she gets off of one antibiotic it comes back in about two weeks. Your situation seems like you are dealing with something like that, too. I hope by now you are feeling better since it has been a few days since your last post. We've been told that cranberry juice thing, too. Does it help? Maybe. I do use it both by tablet and by juice, but who knows. Once you have the UTI though, it dosen't stop it. Push hard if you have to to get whatever antibiotic will help you get over it. For Mom it has been Cipro for the last few times. Just wish it would stay gone, though. As far as keeping anything down now, I hope that has cleared, too. With Mom I have an advantage since I can give her meds by G-tube and she dosen't have to swallow pills. (Honestly I wish I had one at times. Lamictal is awfully bitter if you don't get it down right the first time!!). Let us know when you feel better. It is rough feeling bad and you do have lots of friends here who care.

Last edited:
just got out of the hospital after a three day video eeg.I am not having seizures . I will have to get back to you guys on the right words but what is going on is kindof like sleep walking due to insomnia. i also have a buldging disk in my neck that is causing the bladder problems and weekness on my left side.this was found on the mri today.So my brain is ok:woot:

TheraCran saved my kidneys!

I used to get terrible kidney infections. Skip the bladder infections, it went straight to my kidneys! I was hospitalized, took Cipro -- the whole works -- but every few months, the bugger came back.

Then my urologist suggested "TheraCran" -- a supplement of pure cranberry powder (650mg) that comes in a capsule. He told me to take 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM. I haven't been in the hospital for 2 YEARS now.

Give it a try. I think it's available at iHerb. (I'm on a subscription plan. It comes automatically every month.)

Hope this helps, I know first-hand how much pain you're in...

Keppra metabolizes in the kidneys instead of the liver. It's the only AED that I'm aware of that works this way. It may or may not be related to (or exacerbating) problems with UTIs:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/kidney-infection-not-keppras-fault-1437/

:ponder: Hmmm.... I have been feeling terrible for the last couple of days - sharp pain in the right lower part of my back (? kidney) and it hurts like hell whenever I breath in.

What with the doctor recently increasing my keppra doseage... I might make an appointment to err on the side of caution.

Thank goodness I saw this thread - I wouldn't have really bothered and just put it down to yet another smite from the mighty smiter.

Horsehead - you must be very relieved on one part (in that there is nothing wrong with your brain) - but of course, it doesn't take away the fact that you still have problems. I really wish you better and hope that there is something the doctors can do to put you right. *hugs*

TempusFugit, go to the urologist NOW. The more you wait, the worse the pain. And you don't want to spend 5 days in the hospital, hooked up to an IV like I did...

The pain was so intense, it drove my blood pressure up to the stroke zone. They were freaking out in the ER because of my blood pressure and I was freaking out because they wouldn't give me pain meds until both my cardiologust AND urologist (who happily is head of the department) showed up. It was miserable. Try to be smarter than me!

And good luck!

You have my word that I am definitely making that appointment tomorrow, PhylisFeinerJohnson.

I really feel like a right idiot now... I should have put two and two together a few days ago, but just didn't :S

I avoid doctors wherever possible - but I can't take the chance now. At 8:30am you can rest assured that I will be on the 'phone making an appointment.

Thank you so much xxx

Finally managed to get to see the doc today (husband was ill so had to cancel - twice :S) I DO have a kidney infection (did a quick test there and then and sent off the sample to be analysed). So now, I am on antibiotics for the next week.

My doctor did suggest that I have an ultrasound to rule out anything else (and also mentioned that Keppra could be causing this) - but me being me, I asked if we could just watch and wait to see whether the antibiotics work first of all (the thought of them running unnecessary tests and the cost to the NHS always makes me feel guilty :S). So it was agreed that if, after two weeks I didn't feel any better (or sooner), then we will go for an ultrasound.

Fingers crossed that these antibiotics will do the trick.

On a side note, I am really concerned that Keppra perhaps isn't really agreeing with me. If I am reacting badly to the Keppra I am so worried that the doctors will take me off it and put me on another drug. I have an appointment due with the neurologist next month (still waiting for the exact date), but am dreading that he will suggest we switch over. I have been on this for four months now and whilst admittedly the side effects have been dire, I did notice a small improvement (only for them to come back again, hence the recent increase).

I am rambling again.. .my apologies :(

(Oh... and re: the burn on my arm - the doctor checked it and I now have to wear a dressing for a few days. lol - Never rains but pours!)

I think addressing the kidney infection first with the antibiotics is a smart way to go. Then, at least you'll know who's the culprit...Keppra or your kidneys.

Question: why are you so reluctant to go off of Keppra? It doesn't appear to be so user-friendly to you.

Question: why are you so reluctant to go off of Keppra? It doesn't appear to be so user-friendly to you.

I've been asking myself that too! lol. Looking back, I used to take Lamictal and Epilim (Depakote??) ten years ago to control my seizures. I took myself off them (again, denial and thinking I could live without them). When E reared its very ugly head again, the neurologist put me on Keppra.

Initially, I reacted quite badly (tiredness being very extreme), but I did note a reduction and for a few weeks I felt good. However, I started to feel unwell again (similiar symptoms but not as extreme... my husband noted that I would stare off a bit more frequently again) so after much dragging of my feet (do you catch a theme here?) it was decided to increase the Keppra.

I am scared in short. I have been on Keppra for four months and battled (re-battling) through the initial side effects. I am trying to get some normality back in my life. It has taken me so long to commit myself this time to taking tablets and I don't want these last few months to be in vain, only to get worse again. Does that make sense? :ponder:

If I am completely honest, I have been unwell since I came off the Lamictal/Epilim all those years ago, but just got on with it (as I wasn't have the evident TC's so I could cover it - to a degree). I hate being a nuisance/burden to my family.

No, it DOESN'T make sense. I'm on Lamictal and and Klonapin and as happy as a clam. Stop procrastinating and give something else a try! (This is "tough love" time!)

Hi everyone,

I tried Cranberry Juice and it does have to much sugar. What I eat is cranberries, themselves. I do not have UTI's anymore.

Ruth

Back
Top Bottom