partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
When you have partial seizures do you sometimes feel as if your eyes are going to roll back in your head? Still conscious but eyes feel out of control?
What meds do you take for your partials? Does stress make your seizures worse?

Mine starts with deja vu but I also get where I can't think for a few min. I can respond to simple things but can't answer questions I have to give any thought to. I usually have a headache after, & parts on my face feel numb for a few minutes. Thanks.

Hi, I've had a video taken of me having partials and my eyes do roll back. I usually get tingles on the right side of my face and then my face droops so it looks like I'm having a stroke. I then get a headache & get a bit confused. I get twitches in my hands sometimes & I lose my train of thought. I also look flushed and sometimes am nauseas or sick afterwards. I'm on Gabapentin now 1200mg and stress definitely plays a part. I tend to find if I'm stressed, I get loads-up to 60 a day! It's been a battle to try and control them and I'm close to losing my job.

That's me up thur. Don't know how my log-in got messed up. Is it a crime to thank my own post :D

When you have partial seizures do you sometimes feel as if your eyes are going to roll back in your head? Still conscious but eyes feel out of control?
What meds do you take for your partials? Does stress make your seizures worse?

Mine starts with deja vu but I also get where I can't think for a few min. I can respond to simple things but can't answer questions I have to give any thought to. I usually have a headache after, & parts on my face feel numb for a few minutes. Thanks.

No my eyes have never felt like that. It feels my left arm from shoulder to elbow are weak and feels like arm is so heavy it will pull out of shoulder socket, Of course it isn't really weak, it just feels that way to me. I also get ringing/buzzing in my ears. Sometimes experience phantom odors, usually something burning and occasionally something sickeningly sweet. Sometimes I get chocked or my voice changes.

I take lamictial to control my PS's. Tried Keppra first but am allergic to it.

If I have been having PS in waves for hours or days I can forget how to spell and write my own name I become very confused. I just want to sleep for days but I can't sleep unless I take sleeping meds. Sometimes I will have a bad headache for a day or 2.

I think stress makes them worse. That is the reason my neuro increased my meds in anticipation of my foot surgery. My surgery was cancelled when I found out my son needs more urgent surgery and my husband and I will be caring for him , our disabled DIL and 4 yo grandson with severe autism. My doctor decided that even though I am not having surgery with everything going on I should stay at the increased dose. My son's surgery is Monday so it should be a good test to see if stress makes them worse.

Thanks for your replies. MAB, good luck with your son's surgery.

My eyes definitely feel like they are going to roll back even sometimes just before it happens. Do you find you seem to either tense your has muscles without clenching your teeth or you actually do clench your teeth?

I'm on keppra and lamictal.

I haven't noticed teeth clenched. I have noticed sometimes when I wake up at night I hear my teeth make a popping clicking noise like I am cold & chilling.
I am unable to stop it & will also start shaking all over. I don't know if this is a seizure or an autonomic nervous system response to something. The only thing that will stop it is to take a sedative.

I haven't noticed teeth clenched. I have noticed sometimes when I wake up at night I hear my teeth make a popping clicking noise like I am cold & chilling.
I am unable to stop it & will also start shaking all over. I don't know if this is a seizure or an autonomic nervous system response to something. The only thing that will stop it is to take a sedative.
me thing has happened to me several times. I'm not sure if it is related to PS's or not. I really need to track my seizures better. It happens even when it isn't cold.

I haven't had that, but I often wake up in the night, even in winter, absolutely drenched in sweat like I have been thrashing around and I have wondered if it's nocturnal seizures because I wake up with my usual postictal symptoms. Hopefully it happens during my video EEG next week so I can find out

My partials are deja vus, and end very much like yours. If they are complex partials, the whole experience is a super intense deja vu or like remembering a dream, or trying really hard to remember a dream, and it is so intense and otherworldly I honestly have no awareness of what my body is or isn't doing. The people who have seen me have them have said i didn't do anything though aside of look super pale and out of it. I don't lose complete consciousness but all neuros have agreed they are complex partials. Normal stress doesn't affect my seizures (my life is constant stress) but severe stress most definitely does.

There would have never been any reason to tell my employer about my seizures because they have only been PSs, except for the fact that I work alone in an office and if I have an extremely long seizure I need to lock up and go home. Unfortunately it seems most of my partials last a long time.

My partials are deja vus, and end very much like yours. If they are complex partials, the whole experience is a super intense deja vu or like remembering a dream, or trying really hard to remember a dream, and it is so intense and otherworldly I honestly have no awareness of what my body is or isn't doing. The people who have seen me have them have said i didn't do anything though aside of look super pale and out of it. I don't lose complete consciousness but all neuros have agreed they are complex partials. Normal stress doesn't affect my seizures (my life is constant stress) but severe stress most definitely does.

Wow - if my daughter's get that intense they invariably generalize into tonic-clonic seizures (first a CP, then a tonic-clonic). She always knows right before if that's going to happen.

I've only had my partial seizures generalize once--I was pregnant and had 5 intense CPs as I was falling asleep one night (they woke me each time) and had a TC the next morning. Pregancy did not agree with my epilepsy at all (and I wasn't medicated at the time). I'm not sure why I don't usually get tonics but it's something I'm extremely grateful for. I haven't had an intense complex in a long time either, and now that I'm so unstable with my myoclonic epilepsy I'm glad--I worry my myos will become TCs sometimes.

When I have partials I have the strong sense of déjà vu along with inability to understand what's being said and inability to speak (receptive and expressive aphasia). If it's really a bad one I lose sense of time. I also have auditory hallucinations, like snippets of conversations that replay in my head.

Sounds like Complex partial Seizures. Do tou have this on your left side , Temporal lobe seizizure disorder.? If Lamiictal Helps, great. Tegretol is the other choice. I take trazadone for sleep 150 mg It knocks me out and is an anti depressant/ I am under control. Are your seizures under control?

Back
Top Bottom