Pseudoseizures and A Mean ER Doctor..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Drummerchica02,You say you have seizures involving your right side but remain fully aware.What type of seizure have you been diagnosed with as I have had 3 sz like this but there is a question as to whether they are sz.
I have SPS and take 2250 KEPPRA per day.
j.j.

Hi j.j. I was told that mine are simple partial seizures. More technically, they are simple partial motor seizures. My neuro explained there's this thing called a Jacksonian March, where the seizure starts in one part of the brain and spreads to other nearby areas, usually on the same side of the body. My right arm starts to tremor/shake/twitch whatever you want to call it. Then I can't talk correctly, even though I'm aware of whatever else is going on. That's the most frustrating part. Then the twitching or whatever spreads to the rest of my right side, including stomach muscles and right leg. By the end of it, just my right hand is shaking just a little. This all happens in about less than 5 minutes. To me, it feels like it's going on for forever. I know the time, though, because I'm a teacher and had one once during passing period. I'm on 3000 mg of Keppra a day.

hey kate. this might not be as related to what u were sayin but i understand your frustration about feeling like they said u were faking. i had most of my old friends say i was faking. and one time (after smoking a whole buncha pot) i had a seizure. in the ER the doc said the pseudo thing to me too. for a while my mom thought i faked it too. ER docs can be real dumb a**s (excuse my lingo) best of luck!

I had to add.. that for some reason this really upset being. Dealing with all of this has been hard enough, but since I have little understanding of these pseudoseizures which she called to my face "fake seizures" made me sob. It was like having someone tell me I'm faking this. Like oh it's just so hard.. I mean I just got out of a cast from breaking my arm during a seizure! Yeah, I REALLY faked that one. And Ugh I don't know why it upsets me so much.. but it really does. Someone help, please?

Let me step onto my soap box for a second here... :soap:
It IS really upsetting... I just got back from the hospital for "SE" which turned out to be NES--yeah, I really LOVE going to the hospital, right?? I have bruises from the "seizures" and from the IV and the four other places they stuck me with needles.

What upsets me most is the way your doctors treat you. My psychiatrist saw me have one and said "These are clearly attention-seeking and you need to get into talk therapy right away". My neurologist, when he get the results from the EEG practically laughed and said,:loco: "Don't worry, these aren't real." Gee... thanks. He told me I needed to "stop indulging myself. Just get back to your normal life and they should go away in a couple of months."

I understand your frustration and it's perfectly logical to be upset. You're not alone in that.

seizes

I feel for anyone,who has a doctor or experience like this I have actually been
a closet suffer for almost 10 yrs now- Since Several Doctors made jabs at me
The iinsurance drs, the er drs. and family members
I've heard the fakingdx , get one with your life it's just depression,anxiety , panic get a hobby, get a life . I just myself get tired of fighting and just go hide and try to isolate myself away. Until there's no one left .
Problem is I had one- a life that is and I want it back! The denial has done it's own robber baron - It's kept me from dealing with the memory loss,possible E,ability loss.
I might also add dangerously I was on the road trying to work through my driving panic attacks as I was told they were,I haven't driven now in over 2 yrs and I didn't drive for 2 yrs right after my accident in 2000.
Keep on trying is the only advice I can give -
So Sorry you had to go through this

Well, just for another perspective on ER docs (since I know one). He "moonlights" in the ER while he is an anesthesia resident!

Yes,I had a life too.Good job,vacations 2 houses,401k,the works.Now I have no 401k,blahblah and I had to choose between flea spray and milk earlier today with no end in sight.Yep-im doing this for attention all right.DUHHHH

Back
Top Bottom