Put your cell phone down!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cellphones are the bane of society. :mad:

Wow, that's crazy! What is this world coming to when the hard working parent supporting the child is not protected but the "entitled child" who needed to be taught a lesson isn't. I remember when my brother was told repeatedly not to park is bike behind my dad's car or he'd run it over. My dad finally ran it over. It was destroyed, my brother learned his lesson and no police were involved. In fact my sister and I were also taught not to do that by example because we didn't want that to happen to our bikes. How are we to teach our children when they are being taught that there is no consequences and there rights are protected more than the parents. Its beyond frustrating.

Ya my husband has a camp job and is gone for 2 weeks at a time. He got mad at me once for not answering a text when I was at the doctors for an appointment lol. I guess I should be happy that he loves me so much that he worries but honestly, I hate being attached to my stupid phone all the time))
I used to be a GREAT pen pal w/my friends in places we moved away from & wrote a lot to my relatives in Pakistan. Now with the internet & cellphones, nobody writes letters anymore! I've saved a lot of the old ones--those from my grandmother, for example.
Nothing can take the place of a handwritten letter. How do you know that the email or text you're reading was actually sent by that person? It could easily have been someone else on the keyboard! If something is handwritten, you're sure of it.

Don't know if anyone's seen the commercial for some kind of cell phone app this is out.

I don't remember exactly how it goes. But a little girl is in the front of the church performing. The performance deals some how with the app. When she's done people look at her mom who's sitting in the pews playing the app on her cell phone and missed everything her daughter did!

I can't believe this is what the world is coming to!

I don't have a cellphone. Probably the last person in the world without one.
I used to be like that years ago until I got bullied into it; just get hassle cause don't use it loads n generally have it on silent. Just another piece of crap have to remember when leaving the house - don't always, wow the freedom!

My Sister-in-law isn't too bad now. When she comes up for dinner and my brother isn't with her she'll sit at the table and talk with everyone. When we go into the living room she'll knit, I've got no problem with this because she's talking with us.

Her birthday was last week and we had dinner and a birthday cake. After we at dinner we went into the living room to eat the cake. My brother, who I think let you know is 44, messed around on his phone while he ate his cake!

Saw a good one on the news today too. Schools are trying to not let students have cell phones while they are in school because it's too much of a distraction, which I agree. They interviewed a parent who wants to let children keep their cell phones. She said 'The reason is so I'll be able to get ahold of my child when I need to.' I'm not sure how old some of you are on here but when you were in school how did a parent get ahold of their child when they needed to? They called the school!!!!! I'm sure schools still have phones!!!!!

Saw a good one on the news today too. Schools are trying to not let students have cell phones while they are in school because it's too much of a distraction, which I agree. They interviewed a parent who wants to let children keep their cell phones. She said 'The reason is so I'll be able to get ahold of my child when I need to.' I'm not sure how old some of you are on here but when you were in school how did a parent get ahold of their child when they needed to? They called the school!!!!! I'm sure schools still have phones!!!!!
Agreed. How is a phone any different than a video game? Oh, I dunno. Maybe you can watch videos. Chat with friends. Cheat. Listen to music. Lookup inappropriate material. Play infinite number of different games. Now that I think about it, a video game might actually be less distracting. However, since a video game can't communicate with mommy and daddy, then it's not appropriate.

I'll make a deal with you (not you specifically 😏). Your kid can have a phone on him if it is one of the old ones that doesn't have a colored touch screen with no games and only allows calls from to/from your number(s). Otherwise, you'll just have to roll the dice and call the school.

Another alternative is home-schooling. You'll definitely have your kid on a tight leash then.

Val,

The school still has phones to contact the parents. The problem is a a lot of the staff and students don't even know how to
use a regular phone. I had to laugh the last day of school I told the students they couldn't leave until they told me what a party
line was and what is a rotary dial phone. The kids and the teacher in the classroom just looked at each other totally confused.
until I told them what it was and how we didn't carry cell phones around back then and the big thing was a Walkman or a
cassette player.

I will tell all of you when you go on some of these sites watch the way the person writes and if it's broken English and
poor spelling that's a sign of someone trying to get connected with you that's out to get into your bank account or credit
cards and sometimes they will ask for help when it's all just a bunch of nonsense.

I still write letters to family and friends and send them in the mail. I know how people enjoy that along with getting
a Hello card once in a while.

Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

I'll make a deal with you (not you specifically 😏). Your kid can have a phone on him if it is one of the old ones that doesn't have a colored touch screen with no games and only allows calls from to/from your number(s). Otherwise, you'll just have to roll the dice and call the school.

Another alternative is home-schooling. You'll definitely have your kid on a tight leash then.
I don't have any kids but if I did this would be a really good deal!

I had to laugh the last day of school I told the students they couldn't leave until they told me what a party
line was and what is a rotary dial phone.
They still teach history in school don't they!

The school still has phones to contact the parents. The problem is a a lot of the staff and students don't even know how to
use a regular phone.

I can't believe this!
If I don't have a number saved in my phone I have to use the dial pad to make the call and use the numbers to type in the telephone number, just like you have to on a regular phone. I'm not sure if there are other ways to do it on a cell phone or not.

Hi Val,

Yes, they still teach History in school but nothing like it used to be. Today the teacher will find a video online
for the student to watch about the history topic they are teaching and then when the student is done watching the
video they have to go online to answer the teachers' questions that he or she typed up and when they are done
they submit it to the teacher. A lot of the time the student will just look up the answer to the question online and
get the answer so they never watched the video at all. In the meantime, many teachers just sit at their desk texting
friends or shopping on the phones it makes me sick. During regents exams students would be texting answers back
and forth to each other and that's why the education level is so darn low.
Wishing You the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

The way they teach a lot of things is nothing like it used to be when we were in school. Kids often don't have to work as hard as we did to complete a paper that's the same length. They may not even have to read as much about things. My son, who is a high school senior, often has little or no homework. Many of his assignments often involve watching videos and answering questions.

I've moved so many times it's hard to believe, & I can still remember all the addresses I've lived at (except those where I was less than 5 years old). I can even remember most of my phone (landline) numbers.

When my parents go on vacation they usually drive. They use the app on their phone for directions but my mom likes to have an actual map incase their phone doesn't work or they get in a dead zone.

They belong to AAA (Triple A) so she went in to get a TripTiK. It's a paper map that the AAA is famous for. It will show your starting point mapped out and highlighted for what roads to use to your ending point. The person working there had no clue what she was talking about - didn't even know what a map was!

When my parents go on vacation they usually drive. They use the app on their phone for directions but my mom likes to have an actual map incase their phone doesn't work or they get in a dead zone.

They belong to AAA (Triple A) so she went in to get a TripTiK. It's a paper map that the AAA is famous for. It will show your starting point mapped out and highlighted for what roads to use to your ending point. The person working there had no clue what she was talking about - didn't even know what a map was!

That's your education area today they don't teach students how to read maps and many of them don't now the east from the west.

May God Bless You,
Sue

The way they teach a lot of things is nothing like it used to be when we were in school. Kids often don't have to work as hard as we did to complete a paper that's the same length. They may not even have to read as much about things. My son, who is a high school senior, often has little or no homework. Many of his assignments often involve watching videos and answering questions.

I can't, but can, believe this. What would happen if they put a pencil and paper in front of them?

I know I'm starting to feel old. My mom and I were actually having a talk about this the other day. If we wanted to know how to spell a word we didn't have spell check. We had to know at least a little bit of how to spell it though because we needed to look it up in a dictionary to find out If you needed real information you used the almanac. We had a ton of those because you couldn't fit all the info in just one book. I'm actually surprised that there are still libraries.

The internet was a fairly new thing when I graduated. It was 'dial up'. It would take forever for a web page to load up. We could type in the website address, go eat dinner, wash the dishes and the webpage might have loaded by then. This isn't a joke!

I've moved so many times it's hard to believe, & I can still remember all the addresses I've lived at (except those where I was less than 5 years old). I can even remember most of my phone (landline) numbers.
Same here. Used a phone book if not.

I often tell my older son (who completed his BS in computer engineering a year ago) that I can still recall when floppy discs truly were floppy. They were black, 5 1/4", and extremely bendable.

I often tell my older son (who completed his BS in computer engineering a year ago) that I can still recall when floppy discs truly were floppy. They were black, 5 1/4", and extremely bendable.

I got a good laugh out of this!

I wonder how many people even know what a floppy disc is or even a hard disc? I wrote DOS computer programs when I was in high school. I was so mad when Windows came out because I didn't have to write them anymore!

Take my word public school has become nothing but dirty politcs and a business they could care less about
education. What made me mad is when a student needed help they would just push the student onto the
next grade to get there money from the state and many students they would put into Special Ed. classes
that didn't need to be there and that way they got more money to. I feel sorry for all the taxpayers today.

Wishing All of you only the Best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Like Sue said, follow the money. We've become a country of money instead of actual services. If test scores actually mattered then a lot of these people would've been kicked to the curb long ago. Of course that also means supervision of not outright cheating and just giving the answers straight to them. Then we would actually have some of the best scores in the world and top rankings for education. And of course there's the "participation trophies." The mentality of just showing up qualifies as graduating to the next grade. No such thing as "failing" in Oregon schools now. You either get "Pass" or "Incomplete." Doesn't exactly help them in the real world. However, it does help future policies to be created to "help" them when they can't get hired because they don't know how to read, write or do math. Now more government will be needed and yet MORE money passed on. I don't know about you, but if I’m having brain surgery (or any for that matter), I'd like to know my doctor actually knows what s/he is doing as opposed to just getting a piece of paper saying s/he "participated" in school.

Hi Folks,

Well it sounds like we may be coming down to the end of public schools in NYS. Yesterday on the news they stated that
they are in need of over 50 thousand teachers and that's just in central NY not in NYC. They are predicting that within 10 yrs.
180 thousand teachers will be needed in the U.S. but nobody wants to teach anymore because the pay is way to low and
all of the administrators are getting the money instead of the students for education. On top of that parents are pulling their
kids out of public school and having them go to a private school or home schooling them which I feel is a lot smarter.

Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Back
Top Bottom