Ringing In Ears

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My mom doesn't have E or any major problems. She has constant ringing in her ears. Doctor said it's common in older age and can't do much about it.

]Welcome tripletdad

I hope you get to the bottom of what's happening with you.
Know this ringing can be bothersome at times

I get ringing when i get simple partials but since i was put on tegretol i notice i'm getting them alot.

hey
so it's an old thread but I'm adding my two cents for anyone who might skim through it.
I've had ringing in my ears for years now and I have not been medicated until recently.
my hearing is very good, i don't have an ear infection either.
I have lots of absence seizures and myoclonic all through the day and sometimes the ringing is very loud (it's often in one ear) on a day when I feel a worse seizure coming on (i say worse because myoclonic and absence seizures are something i'm used to and they really only bother me when i'm in public or when the shaking affects my legs and while i'm standing or walking. i don't find them particularly bothersome at home most of the time).
I do have a brain infection (neuroborreliosis).

The ringing is of several types in my case:
-Aura:It would be crystal clear, high pitched and last several seconds. They can happen as long as an hour or as short as a few minutes before a seizure.

-Buzz:I've always been bothered by powerplugs, I can hear them and can't sit near one. Sometimes I could swear i hear the radio when it's not even turned on. At times I've gotten up to check the receiver, convinced it was on with the volume really low. I got no relief until i plugged it out. I haven't told my docs about hearing appliances i'm not supposed to hear for fear they'll think i'm a nut.
-Sometimes it goes away (and then i miss it): The ringing sometimes resembles white noise or buzzing and sometimes it's a clean, crystal sound. I actually enjoy it and have never tried to overpower it with anything. I haven't heard it the last few days (wondering whether that's because i'm on meds now. it feels like they took my "superpowers" away.) but sometimes i would hear it continuously for weeks.
-Peace and fuzzy feelings associated even, clean sound: I really like my inner tune and am always surprised to hear how much it bothers others who have it, perhaps it's because the ringing has been noticeably louder when i was filled with positive emotions in my case so maybe i associate it with joy. At times,a particular tone occurred just as i was about to have a bad seizure as i said, so i've learned to distinguish the sound that means trouble from the usual sound. Does anyone else get that? I know that sounds so weird.. It is louder when all else is calm and quiet, e.g. at night.
Most lyme patients have it, I think it must be quite common with neurological conditions.

-Oh, i also have sleep paralysis often and by far the worst episodes are those when i hear a really disturbing and loud sound accompanying it, like some kind of eerie radio or something and i feel intense pressure in my ears when it happens. lots of times i though my eardrums would pierce from it. But during waking hours the sound doesn't bother me.
Sorry that's so long, hope it helps someone.
editing to mention i grind my teeth in my sleep and have low blood pressure. don't know if that's related.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom