Same dosage, new negative symptoms

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lzwtsn

New
Reaction score
Hello,
In summary, I developed epilepsy when I was 16. I am now 22, and we have yet to discover the catalyst for my epilepsy. Last year I started taking sprintec (birth control) to suppress very serious ovarian cysts that put me in the hospital. I had to double my Lamictal, but I haven't been the same since. I've continued to up my dosage, but cannot find the flexibility I had before the birth control. The past 4 months after I graduated from a very active college life, my issues have seemed to increase. If I do not get a correct amount of sleep (which is not a stable number, some days I need 10, some days 7, I can't find a happy medium), or I wake up too quickly, or I am over stimulated in the morning, I begin to have petite mal seizures, and have to be sent home from work. I cannot handle stress the way I could during college (I could perform on stage in front of thousands of people, but now I can't handle a busy table at my night waitressing job). I'm more easily scared, I can't tolerate pain as well, I can't talk about series personal issues without crying, and I have lost my sense of adventure. Has anyone experienced this change in personality/stability? My dosage has been the same for a year, but now I'm having issues. I'm getting a new doctor because my previous wasn't a good match. Does anyone have any advice other than testing my levels? I hate how unpredictable I am, and would love any input!
Sorry if that was long or poorly constructed, I was just sent home from work for health issues and I am extremely frustrated.
Thanks so much!!

I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time! Epilepsy really screws things up sometimes, doesn't it? I can relate a lot to your post. I became more introverted after I was diagnosed. Growing up I was always outgoing and made friends easily. After diagnosis, I became more shy and withdrawn. I used to love performing music on stage, and now the idea freaks me out.

I struggle with work moreso than I did before diagnosis. I worked from the time being 15 until I got married. Seizures started late in my 16th year, and I was diagnosed at 17. After that, the stress of work and the need to multitask became extremely difficult. Working causes more breakthrough seizures from the stress and exhaustion, and sometimes lack of sleep when I worked a late shift or an early shift. I couldn't work more than 20 hours/wk without having a major downhill slide with seizure control. And food service work is absolutely out of the question for me. I could not handle the high stress, high speed, multi-task oriented work of the food service industry. I didn't perform well, and my health went downhill. When diagnosed, I worked in a restaurant, and I was forced to quit for job performance issues and health issues. =/

I wish I had some good advice. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would try to search for a job that had a low-stress level. I worked as a cashier in a drug store, for example, and that was a great job--very low stress, and often fun.

As far as stress relief, I employ deep breathing and muscle relaxation techniques. I will post the info in another post.

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about.

Relaxation technique 1: Breathing meditation for stress relief

With its focus on full, cleansing breaths, deep breathing is a simple, yet powerful, relaxation technique. It’s easy to learn, can be practiced almost anywhere, and provides a quick way to get your stress levels in check. Deep breathing is the cornerstone of many other relaxation practices, too, and can be combined with other relaxing elements such as aromatherapy and music. All you really need is a few minutes and a place to stretch out.
Practicing deep breathing meditation

The key to deep breathing is to breathe deeply from the abdomen, getting as much fresh air as possible in your lungs. When you take deep breaths from the abdomen, rather than shallow breaths from your upper chest, you inhale more oxygen. The more oxygen you get, the less tense, short of breath, and anxious you feel.

Sit comfortably with your back straight. Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach.
Breathe in through your nose. The hand on your stomach should rise. The hand on your chest should move very little.
Exhale through your mouth, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your abdominal muscles. The hand on your stomach should move in as you exhale, but your other hand should move very little.
Continue to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to inhale enough so that your lower abdomen rises and falls. Count slowly as you exhale.

If you find it difficult breathing from your abdomen while sitting up, try lying on the floor. Put a small book on your stomach, and try to breathe so that the book rises as you inhale and falls as you exhale.
Relaxation technique 2: Progressive muscle relaxation for stress relief

Progressive muscle relaxation involves a two-step process in which you systematically tense and relax different muscle groups in the body.

With regular practice, progressive muscle relaxation gives you an intimate familiarity with what tension—as well as complete relaxation—feels like in different parts of the body. This awareness helps you spot and counteract the first signs of the muscular tension that accompanies stress. And as your body relaxes, so will your mind. You can combine deep breathing with progressive muscle relaxation for an additional level of stress relief.
Practicing progressive muscle relaxation

Before practicing Progressive Muscle Relaxation, consult with your doctor if you have a history of muscle spasms, back problems, or other serious injuries that may be aggravated by tensing muscles.

Most progressive muscle relaxation practitioners start at the feet and work their way up to the face. For a sequence of muscle groups to follow, see the box below.

Loosen your clothing, take off your shoes, and get comfortable.
Take a few minutes to relax, breathing in and out in slow, deep breaths.
When you’re relaxed and ready to start, shift your attention to your right foot. Take a moment to focus on the way it feels.
Slowly tense the muscles in your right foot, squeezing as tightly as you can. Hold for a count of 10.
Relax your right foot. Focus on the tension flowing away and the way your foot feels as it becomes limp and loose.
Stay in this relaxed state for a moment, breathing deeply and slowly.
When you’re ready, shift your attention to your left foot. Follow the same sequence of muscle tension and release.
Move slowly up through your body, contracting and relaxing the muscle groups as you go.
It may take some practice at first, but try not to tense muscles other than those intended.

Source: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. I'm sorry to hear that you also had to deal with this. It does, however, make me feel better that others can relate, for those around me can't relate, obviously. I try to confide in my parents and close friends, but it's hard to communicate with people who haven't experienced it firsthand. So thank you for understanding and for the advice. I've looked into the hormonal connections, but I've had issues through all the phases of my hormonal cycles, but I will bring it up to my new doctor and see what he has to say.
Have a lovely day and good luck with everything!!

Same to you! Just be sure that whatever you do is what you think is best for you. <3

Hi lzwtsn, welcome to CWE!

Since Lamictal levels are decreased when estrogen is increased, the Sprintec may be messing with it. Lamictal may not be the best anti-seizure med for you. It may help to check in with your neurologist to discuss other med options. It might also be helpful to see an endocrinologist just to confirm what may be happening with estrogen and/or progesterone levels, and to rule out any thyroid issues as well. It's no fun having our emotions messed with by our meds or seizures, so the sooner you can figure out what's going on and fix it, the better!

Don't know if this is an option for you, but the Modified Atkins Diet has helped some folks control or reduce their seizures, particularly absence (petit mal) seizures. More info here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647578

Best,
Nakamova

As Nak said, It is probably good to see an endocrinologist as it could be a hormonal issue as TLE and many of the AED's can mess with female hormones as well as the thyroid.

I also have a thyroid issue and see an endocrinologist along with my neurologist and have had many terrible mood swings as you describe. Plus I was seeing a counselor for a while.

Hope you find some answers.

I've looked into the hormonal connections, but I've had issues through all the phases of my hormonal cycles, but I will bring it up to my new doctor and see what he has to say.

I had hormonal issues, too, and my seizures increased around that "time of month". Now that I've gone thru all that, seizures have decreased for me.

Here is some more info on the subject:

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/hormones.html
HORMONES AND EPILEPSY

Back
Top Bottom