Snow?!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Ok, right now I'm in south Georgia, but my AMAZING family has been gracious enough to up and move to Utah to get me better medical care!:adore: Among my many other triggers, the extreme heat/humidity down here in the summers makes me have seizures. I was wondering if anyone has trouble with extreme cold, and if that is something I should worry about? It VERY rarely snows here, so I really don't know how it will affect me, but what about you guys? Also, can you think of anything else that I should watch out for?

the brightness can sometimes do it for me and definatly sun and humidity,other than that i dont know what to say

I live in the Denver area, so I'm in the Rocky mountain region and we're expecting some snow this weekend, more so up in the mountains. I don't have any problems with the extreme cold as far as seizures, but the bright reflection of the sun off the snow can give me bad headaches. And for some, as your passing thru places where there are lots of trees, the constant reflection of the sun and shade can bring on seizures. Make sure you wear sunglasses.

snow

Well I have the plasure of living four different states, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Indiana, and now Minnesota. In some regard I think the medications that you are on play a big part some simply won't allow a person to go outdoors for very long without having some sort of effect, sunburn, blindness, severe headache while the next person is not affected. A sandy beach or water are as bright if not brighter than snow.
Jerry

Well I have the plasure of living four different states, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Indiana, and now Minnesota........

A sandy beach or water are as bright if not brighter than snow.
Jerry

I, too have lived in 4 different states, one southern state, 3 western states, and have traveled across the U.S. But the reflection of the sun off the snow is much worse than the sandy beach, due to the high altitude. Your much closer to the sun. My son learned the hard way.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/sunburn-topic-overview
You may get a more severe sunburn depending on:

Altitude. It is easy to get sunburned at higher altitudes, because there is less of the earth's atmosphere to block the sunlight. UV exposure increases about 4% for every 1000 ft (305 m) gain in elevation.

congrats on your move,
I am in nashville and totally agree on your assessment of extreme humidity.
when I was in virgin utah two years ago, physically it was the best I've ever felt.
I hope you love utah, it is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom