Song lyrics reminding me of seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shakin all over by rose hill drive

When you move in right up close to me
That's when I get the shakes all over me

Quivers down my backbone
I got the shakes in the knee bones
Shivers down my thigh bones
Like I'm
Shakin' all over

That's what happens when you say goodnight to me
Bring this feeling all inside of me
Quivers down my backbone
I got the shakes in the knee bones
Shivers in the thigh bones
Like I'm
Shakin' all over

I was listening to the Rainbow connection and some lyrics even in this gentle song reminded me of seizures! Like the rainbow connection is the otherworld we enter in our minds where seizures go. Or if we find the rainbow connection we'll find the cure. Or maybe I'm just tired. Just feeling quirky today...lala land and my pillow beckon.

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.
All of us under its spell.
We know that it's probably magic.
Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.

Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.

P.S. I was listening to the Willie Nelson version after listening to Kermit. A whole new approach to feeling green.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if there was an epilepsy (simple partial with visual hallucinations?) influence behind Neil Young's After The Gold Rush:

Well, I dreamed I saw the knights
In armor coming,
Saying something about a queen.
There were peasants singing and
Drummers drumming
And the archer split the tree.
There was a fanfare blowing
To the sun
That was floating on the breeze.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.

I was lying in a burned out basement
With the full moon in my eyes.
I was hoping for replacement
When the sun burst thru the sky.
There was a band playing in my head
And I felt like getting high.
I was thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.
Thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home.

Indeed they do Jackie. I think it would be so great if someone in Neil's position would talk about having epilepsy but it seems he doesn't. In fact I read somewhere that he has spoken of controlling it in some sort of "mind over matter" way. Not helpful at all. But I still love his music x

Epilepsy is Dancing by Antony & the Johnsons

Epilepsy is dancing
Shes the Christ now departing
And Im finding my rhythm
As I twist in the snow

All the metal burned in me
Down the brain of my river
That fire was searching
For a waterway home

I cry glitter is love!
My eyes pinned inside
With green jewels
Hanging like Christmas stars
From a golden vein

As I came to a screaming
Hold me while Im dreaming
For my fingers are curling
And I cannot breathe

NL release 11 oktober 2007
Joy Division movie 'Control' details Epilepsy in 1976
a film directed by Anton Corbijn.

Quotes from the critics

'Control' chronicles the rise of Joy Division and the tragic demise of the lead singer, Ian Curtis.
A profile of Ian Curtis (Riley), the enigmatic singer of Joy Division whose personal, professional, and romantic troubles led him to commit suicide at the age of 23.
Ian would have seizures on stage during performances and his frustration and the contempt of the other band members is palpable. There is a scene where Ian is given prescription medication by a doctor who is unable to explain the function of the pills.'

'But what is dealt with in much more detail is his growing sense of isolation, coping with epilepsy as the pressures of touring build up, And the knowledge that doctors don't have a cure.

"Riley takes on manic expressions as if marching away from an impending epileptic fit while singing Transmission. It is such a potent, almost frightening feat, that we have to shake ourselves to remember he only got the part when he was stuck for a job. "Not a lot was going on in my life before this, so I was appreciative – for the work and the money," he tells the opening night audience. "I imagine this will have opened doors for you," I had said to him earlier; he smiled like a man who still can't believe his good luck. But the 'luck' is very well deserved. His 'Ian' is physically and mentally complex. When I had managed to stop him on the Red Carpet long enough to congratulate him, Mr Riley explains that he had a friend who was an epileptic. "I witnessed an attack often enough to be able to copy it."

"Fortunately this is not just for music fans but for serious film fans as well. It careers in a tightly controlled arc, where music biopic meets cinematic excellence. Why should you see it? "Some people visit the past for sentimental reasons," says Corbijn. "Some people visit the past to understand the present better." Control is not in the sentimental exercise category."

Back
Top Bottom