Taking risks with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

haha, true. it took me years to deal with having a grand mal and putting my car in the ditch but now it surely gets people's attention. not 'fun' to repeat but it's my story just the same, we all got 'em.

I have given up driving last year but I drove for decades with E before that. Now its my health and the EARTH and my money that make me love not driving. I bike every day and bus all the time. I bike fast and in traffic. I am much faster on a bike than driving (driving means you have all those needless laws and such). But I am actually thinking i need someone else around when i repair my leaky roof this month because i had a strong complex partial yesterday that made me dizzy. ??? this is a great question/post.

I love rock climbing. Bouldering especially. Which is no rope climbing, but it goes no higher than 10 feet and you always have a mat or someone to catch you. If I rope climb, there is someone on the ground that you are connected to that lowers you down. I've had people get all righteous and say, "You shouldn't...blah blah blah." However, it just makes sense that if you climb with a partner, it's safe.

Another 'unsafe' thing would be biking and hiking. Hiking alone would be dangerous, but I usually take someone with me.

I got told by one Neuro that I shouldn't cook. Which to me seemed a little ridiculous.

My fiancé made a really good point the other day, even without Epilepsy, you are taking risks just by stepping out of the door in the morning but because of that you wouldn't just spend you life in bed, man, if you did, you'd still be at risk! Risk of poor health related illnesses instead of being hit by a car or whatever. I think it is in a lot of E sufferes nature to rebel against what we are 'meant' to do and what we're not. The other day I stood right a t the top of a cliff at the very edge, oh boy did it feel good, but pretty scarey, needless to say, I didn't spend long there lol xxx

I think it is in a lot of E sufferes nature to rebel against what we are 'meant' to do and what we're not.

couldn't agree more. i've always tried to live normal. other than days i have szs i live as close to normal as those without E, other than meds twice a day and losing my license here and there :)

Totally agree Laura. The risk is there and it applies to everyone. The frustrating difference is they can point at someone with Epilepsy and say, "you there! You have this thing that we can see. You could endanger things more than average." Totally understand, but it is just frustrating. Grrr. :)

yeah frustrating. my boyfriend's always pointing out that people with heart disease are allowed to drive, what the hell's the difference between a seizure or heart attack out of the blue???
we seem to be so set apart.

well we are not set apart from my experiences.
most people with heart disease take their meds religiously, as they think that it could be a death result if they dont.
SOME people with eplilepsy, dont share these views, and waver from medications or possibly forget.
I think these rules are based purely on risk evalution.

d-mo

I had a strong Complex Partial last evening, 24 hours ago. And like always I get on my knees and elbows and pray immediately after. I had happened to be walking my dog on the quiet streets near my house. So other pedestrians saw me on the ground and asked "hey you OK?" I said yes, just praying. Then I was embarrassed. AND still wonder what they must think.

Back
Top Bottom