tegretol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tegretol XR to VIMPAT (Lacosamide)

Been having a lot of seizures recently and due to side effects (GGT of 299 and a kidney stone) neuro has decided that it is time to change my med. from Tegretol XR to Vimpat (Lacosamide). I am interested to know if anyone has tried this drug and if it has been a success.

I am a little disapointed to have to change meds again, as my sleep patterns have been almost back to normal. Never mind I will plough on and hope for the best with Lacosamide.

Hi Andy...there are some folks on the forum who take Vimpat and I'm sure they will drop by when they get the chance too. Sorry to here the Tegretol didn't pan out for you...I can feel for where you are coming from with the changing of meds again scenario. It seems like it is a never ending roller coaster ride. Hope you have better luck this time around!

I think it depends for everyone, and on the dosage. I was on Tegretol for 17 years, and it stopped working. At a dosage of 1000 to 1200 mgs I went from having myclonic jerks to tonic clonic seizures. At 200 mgs a day I had almost no side effects. It makes you tired, can blur your vision and can make you depressed. My most recent blood work also showed that it effected my red blood cell count. Right now I am on 1000 mgs of Keppra and 400 mgs of Tegretol. I am in the process of being weened offf the Tegretol and hoping that the Keppra will improve my quality of life. I hope that you have good luck with the Tegretol!

Hi Andy,

I've been on Tegretol (carbamezapine) for about 7 years (400mg/day). In the past year i've been having seizures and I could even feel them coming on a few times but they never happened. Now I'm also taking Keppra (2500mg/day) which it seems a lot of other people here are taking as well. I haven't noticed any side effects with the Teg but some weight loss with the Keppra. Kidneys have taken a beating though and my neuro said it is from the Teg but they still have me on it. I've only been on Keppra for a little over a month and the "theraputic" levels haven't quite made it there yet so they kept upping it from 1000mg/day to yesterday of 2500mg/day. This place actually feels good to be able to get answers and vent a little so WELCOME!!

Neil

Hi Andy

I have been on Tegretol for over 13 years now and although my liver function tests have been normal i have suffered from other side effects. The first was weight gain, about two stone in six months! Then there is the extra hair! Thicker hair and for a lady its not nice when its on the face especially. Other than that for many years just fatigue. This is until i had a health screen last year and i was diagnosed as being in the first stages of osteoporosis which is not good at 38 years old. Since then the doc has been doing some further tests and i have other problems aswell now, one of them being hormone problems so we have taken the decision to with draw at 100mg a month. I only started this three days ago so will see what happens.
Hope you have found this forum as much of a help as i have and good luck with what you are doing.

Hi Andy,

I've been on Tegretol (carbamezapine) for about 7 years (400mg/day). In the past year i've been having seizures and I could even feel them coming on a few times but they never happened. Now I'm also taking Keppra (2500mg/day) which it seems a lot of other people here are taking as well. I haven't noticed any side effects with the Teg but some weight loss with the Keppra. Kidneys have taken a beating though and my neuro said it is from the Teg but they still have me on it. I've only been on Keppra for a little over a month and the "theraputic" levels haven't quite made it there yet so they kept upping it from 1000mg/day to yesterday of 2500mg/day. This place actually feels good to be able to get answers and vent a little so WELCOME!!

Neil

I am also on both Tegretol (400mgs) and Keppra (1000mgs) a day. I just began this 12 days ago. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I am hoping to be weened off of the Tegretol completely. I wonder if that is also an option for you. I noticed since adding the Keppra I have been less hungry. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom