Three new Epilepsy Drugs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Did you see this epilepsy news?

There is a new epilepsy drug: Fycompa (perampanel).

This one is truly a new drug. Something more to try for those that have intractable epilepsy. The literature says it is used for partial seizures in those over 12 years of age. Unfortunately the package insert also has a black box warning for "neuropsychiatric events."
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm325038.htm

There are two "new" (sort of) Epilepsy Drugs: Oxtellar XR & Trokendi XR.

Both have an existing seizure drug as the main ingredient. Oxtellar's main ingredient is oxcarbazepine (trileptal). Trokendi's main ingredient is Topiramate (topamax). The only big improvement is that these two drugs are taken only once per day instead of the twice a day with the plain old generics. That has the possibility of being a good improvement for everybody, especially those with cognitive impairments, a super active job, people who have a hard time taking pills, etc.

Oxtellar XR & Trokendi XR
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/FDA-approves-Supernus-epilepsy-drug-Oxtellar-XR-3970933.php

FYI About Black Box Warnings.
A black box warning is the sternest warning by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that a medication can carry and still remain on the market in the United States.

A black box warning appears on the label of a prescription medication to alert you and your healthcare provider about any important safety concerns, such as serious side effects or life-threatening risks.
A black box warning, also known as a “black label warning” or “boxed warning,” is named for the black border surrounding the text of the warning that appears on the package insert, label, and other literature describing the medication (e.g., magazine advertising). It is the most serious medication warning required by the FDA.

When Does the FDA Require a Boxed Warning?

The FDA requires a black box warning for one of the following situations:
  • The medication can cause serious undesirable effects (such as a fatal, life-threatening or permanently disabling adverse reaction) compared to the potential benefit from the drug. Depending on your health condition, you and your doctor would need to decide if the potential benefit of taking the drug is worth the risk.
  • A serious adverse reaction can be prevented, reduced in frequency, or reduced in severity by proper use of the drug. For example, a medication may be safe to use in adults, but not in children. Or, the drug may be safe to use in adult women who are not pregnant.

http://drugs.about.com/od/medicationabcs/a/BlackBoxWarning.htm

Thank you Endless,at least we know they ARE trying,bummer about the side effects,but i suppose thats nothing new for us lot,is it?

It scares me when a drug can have worse side effects than the seizures themselves. or as the article states, the risk outweighs the benefits...

It scares me when a drug can have worse side effects than the seizures themselves. or as the article states, the risk outweighs the benefits...
:agree: And what scares me more.... the pharmaceuticals keep marketing their drugs regardless of the deadly side effects and the doctors prescribe them...

Ah...yes...those side effects...my husband and I are currently reviewing them and trying to decide which ones we can live with, and which are worse than the seizures themselves.

I was one of the study patients (subjects) for the Fycompa trials, and from my experience over several years in the study know that those side effects include all sorts of things we subjects had to report, no matter whether it was really the drug or someone else happening to us at the time, coincidentally.

I am so, so glad the drug works. Even during the double-blind part of the study, I could tell things were better for me, and now I've been on it for several years I'm just hoping it's not too expensive when it's available to purchase here in the U.S. (Until then, I get my supply from the study directors at the Mayo Clinic.)

It was called perampanel during the study -- you can check the posts made by members here (including me) during that time.

I take Oxtellar XR. Have found it best to take it on an empty stomach as directed by manufacturer. Otherwise I experience some wicked side effects.

Thanks IslandLiz for participating in a study. it's people like you who make new options available.

I have been on Fycompa 5 months now, have reduced some seizures but still having minimum of 30 a night and still clustering, I have seen it help so many people though :)

Thanks IslandLiz for participating in a study. it's people like you who make new options available.

I've not taken any of these new drugs listed. But I, too, have participated in drug studies back in the early 90's. One was Sabril before it came to the market in the U.S. That one made me suicidal and I was taken off it immediately. I was also put on Felbatol way back in the early 90's when it first came on the market, but it only gave me tremendous migraines for days on end.

Back
Top Bottom