Trying to be intelligent about getting ready for VEEG starting the 16th

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The doctors usually want at least 24 hours of recording your EEG under fairly normal circumstances before trying to trigger a seizure, so by sleep deprivation I am meaning full deprivation of sleep for several nights not just one. Because my seizures were not "cooperating", I had to undergo 3 nights in a row with no sleep (which is nothing when all you're doing is lying in bed all day!).

The doctors usually want at least 24 hours of recording your EEG under fairly normal circumstances before trying to trigger a seizure, so by sleep deprivation I am meaning full deprivation of sleep for several nights not just one. Because my seizures were not "cooperating", I had to undergo 3 nights in a row with no sleep (which is nothing when all you're doing is lying in bed all day!).
Now THAT sounds like fun. :(

I have the feeling it is going to take a while for my seizures to "cooperate" with the program too. The last time I had a seizure due to sleep deprivation I was traveling to China and had been up for 48 hours straight plus the jet lag stress. I got to the hotel in Beijing and tried to take a nap and had one.

But then I had also missed maybe a day and a half of medication (with the time difference factored in).

Speaking of meds, they are already having me tapering back on the phenobarbitol.
After my experiments with reducing my meds, I had taken both back up to the full Rx in anticipation of my neuro appointment last Friday wanting to have a good baseline blood level test.
Last night they had me cut the pheno by 25%, 3 pills instead of 4.
Sunday night I take it down another pill to 50% of the Rx.

Last edited:
I am on 100mg Lamictal 2x daily (not enough but having a VEEG sometime soon so there is no point uping the dose before that) and I have no idea what the half life of this med is but if I forget my dose before I go to bed I am guaranteed to have a big seizure in my sleep, bladder incontinence and all. I even start to feel weird about 45 minutes to an hour if I miss a dose.

Hi Bidwell, I had a video EEG two (2 now) and they explained they want to see if there is any change when they are lowering your meds so let's say you take two pills they will take one away and watch the eeg/video that's how they saw my seizures and changed me to a different med. Good luck and I brought lots of books and my phone. Jeanne

Back
Top Bottom