Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Brain, I totally have to thank you for those incredibly useful posts. I went back and read those links in them and wowzers! It didn't occur to me why I was having so many problems at home or why things had gotten so much worse - or at least so much more noticeable - in the past few months. Then I looked up at the lights in my apartment. A few months ago, the management came through with the power company and put in all flourescent lighting saying how much it would save us on our power bills, blah blah.

I didn't think anything of it at the time except that the track lighting in the kitchen was about a hundred times brighter. But that's when everything started getting about a hundred times worse for me, too - after they did that.

So, this past weekend, my little brother came over and changed out every lightbulb in the apartment from the fluorescent ones the power company & apartment management installed to full spectrum bulbs (a bit on the spendy side, but like my dad always said, you get what you pay for) - what a huge difference! Just the change in lighting in the place has cut my seizure activity in half at least. That's awesome. :D

That's great news! It's nice when you can draw a straight line between cause and effect in the world of seizures.

That has me thinking...
my son seems to have more absence seizures at school (junk lighting).
Now...what can I do about it???:ponder:

Perhaps you can look into getting him some special tinted glasses? There's a site that sells them.

In case you don't wear prescription glasses ...

If you do not wear prescription glasses, there are also
pilot (aviator's) glasses as well. I have used them before
I had to wear glasses and they worked and it is worth
the money to invest into them over the UV type sun-
glasses, because you can also wear them whenever
there's a seizure-provocative light issues.

I used to have an old chatroom ID of:

iwearsunglassesatnights

for a reason, because of monitors back then in the old
days were bad unlike computer monitors of today. And
same application went to televisions as well.

I could see lines like crazy, even with the anti-glare and
UV screens over the monitors, it didn't help but those
pilot glasses helped quite a bit and they lasted me for years!

Back
Top Bottom