Verbal memory?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm trying to know more about loss of verbal memory. I was planning to get brain surgery to fix my seizures until I was told it would results in permanent loss of my verbal memory. The doctor wasn't much help in explaining what losing one's verbal memory looks like. I know it's different for each person but all he said was I would have trouble with some words. He wouldn't say anything else... Just some words. I was wondering if that would be 20 - 30 words or more like 200 - 300 words. He would only say "some" words. I asked if there was an average amount say for every 20 people who have the surgery. He wouldn't say.

Has anyone had an operation that resulted in verbal memory loss or knows someone who has? The doctors gave me only a 50/50 chance the surgery would fix the seizures, so me trading my verbal memory with those odds has me thinking twice before agreeing to operate.

Anyone here have more info or details about verbal memory?

I think you should write him a letter to ask for more information or maybe you could get a second opinion with the purpose of finding out what the consequences of this operation would be on your verbal memory. I would write a long list of questions. After all, it makes a difference WHICH kind of words are missing [for instance.] Good luck to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. A second opinion seems to be the only real option. Any further method of questioning the doctor is hopeless. No matter how I phrased a question, the answer was either "some words" or "can't say, everyone is different". I need to find someone who has loss their capacity for this. They would experience it and could at least have an opinion. Thanks again however.

I agree with you completely. At the same time here some more thoughts. When I was evaluated for epilepsy the psychologists who did the testing at the hospital concentratrated on verbal abilities. Those psychologists are trained to understand how the brain processes words. If you could get one of them to talk to you, that might help. I think that one of them would certainly test you before such an extensive operation? You might get some insight then. As far as your neurologist is concerned -- oh well. Take good care of yourself all along the way. Long journey. Maybe you will let COE know how it all turns out. My best, B

It's very possible that part of why he's being so vague is because the effects actually vary from person to person. He may seem like he's avoiding telling you something but he may be trying not to give any false info or create false expectations. I've had neurologists do that to me & I do get frustrated when they don't just say "it varies from person to person" and not give me an idea of the best & the worst I could expect.

When you do go for a 2nd opinion I would suggest asking how often this procedure has been done before and what percentage of patients got what effects. That doesn't give you any promises but it does tell you the probability of what is most likely.

You also have to remember that the smaller the number of times that this procedure was performed, the less you can expect the statistics to be accurate.

Thanks for this. I don't mean to imply anything negative about the doctor. It's a fact that the results vary and to ask for something precise and definitive doesn't make sense. But two things, it's a big decision and a little information would help other than none and in these times, protecting themselves from liability is always a paramount concern.

Trust me, I worded the questions as many ways as I could think of to give him a broad response without really saying anything. I asked out of say 20 - 30 patients, what is the average or median amount of words lost. I was given a 50/50% chance of fixing the seizures but a 100% chance I'd lose my verbal memory. I asked if the seizures were fixed and I got a job in my field or just as a cashier at a retail shop, would I be trainable and able to do the job or would I lose enough to be unable to compete. But he wouldn't budge.

Thanks for your suggestions. You too take care.

Back
Top Bottom