Water...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cramps after drinking 3 gallons of water may be a symptom of water intoxication, which occurs because of low blood sodium levels. One symptom of water intoxication are also seizures.

You can be thirsty from 4 basic reasons:
- Dehydration due to excessive sweating
- Excessive urination (diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus)
- Psychological reasons
- Medications

Dry mouth may be also caused by medications or by hyperventilation...Blood and urine tests are necessary to find the cause of excessive thirst/urination.

Thanks for the response. I need to reschedule the nephrologist appointment. They know I don't have diabetes mellitus but suspect possible diabetes insipidus. I've had 24 hour urine collections in the past and begged them to give me 3 1-gallon containers. They refused so I went back and asked again for 2, they gave me 1. I was pissed (no pun intended) so I used a empty gallon jug from home. The urologist I saw seemed completely unconcerned. I probably should get my sodium levels checked again to see if the extra salt is helping. I am having much less cramping.

How much liquid do you drink? Sometimes my mouth is dry, other times I am just extremely thirsty. Chewing gum helps but makes my jaw sore.

Well currently the amount is inconsistent...just pretty much however much I feel I need on a given day...and as far as chewing gum goes I don't really like that stuff...it gives me an upset stomach (acid in your stomach is being formed from the juices of the gum which really isn't digesting so you're pretty much giving yourself an upset stomach which is why I don't do it but to each their own lol)

Back
Top Bottom