What Happened to The Good Bands?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoey H.

New
Reaction score
What's happened to all the good music? You know, The BeeGee's, Bob Marley, The Beatles, THe Who, Bob Dylan, THe Birds, Pink Floyd? All I here about today, is Hannah Montana, the Cheetah Girls, and The Jonas Brothers ect... You know, call me back in the day's but I think that the music in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, actually had meaning in it, that it wasn't just a bunch of words put together to make an album. I bet if I played a Buddy Holly tape in one of my classes everyone would like it! I'm not getting mad and I don't have anything against the modern bands, but I want to listen to something without todays bad words or subliminal emo messages.... Any input?...?

there are a few good bands out there...have you listened to Radiohead? They are awesome. Coldplay.

ABSOLUTELY! This isn't music today. Most of the so called artists can't read music, write music, compose or arrange music. They lack originality and sound so similar they are hard to tell apart. They are more Glamorous than Talented. These days, all you need is the LOOK, and nothing else. Between the Accapella Doo Wop groups, people like Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, the Association, Joe Cocker, and everyone from the Disco, Folk Rock, Soft Rock, Jazz Rock, Ballad Rock, and the Dancing music of that era, thats when music was truly music. Everyone in school had to join the Band, Orchestra, Glee Club, Chorus, or Choir in order to Graduate so we could play horns, woodwinds, sing more harmoniously, and such. I don't know what happened to REAL Music, so I'm still buying oldies from the 50s to 80s all the time. I began playing Bass guitar in the Disco era and my style of playing still is the same. I put on KC and the Sunshine band, AWB, Wild Cherry, Hall and Oates, and start playing when in the mood. I wish more musicians were out there so we could restore what music should be. Glad someone out there feels what I feel.

i'm a 30 something, and my favorite music is that from the 30s. it had a good beat and you could "feel" the music. my grandma intruduced me to it as a small child and i have loved it ever since.

Zoey - I didn't figure you to be old enough to know all those bands. That was from my early years. :rock:

Something I learned from Speber's Auditorium was to hop on youtube and do searches on my favorite old groups. I was amazed how much old original video there is out there. You can just listen to song after song while on the web. Some of the internet channels are also great. I listen to "The Eagle" quite often.

Led Zeppelin
Eagles
Beatles
Doobie Brothers
Blue Oyster Cult
BTO
Three Dog Night
Nazareth

:rock:

Zoey - I didn't figure you to be old enough to know all those bands. That was from my early years. :rock:

Something I learned from Speber's Auditorium was to hop on youtube and do searches on my favorite old groups. I was amazed how much old original video there is out there. You can just listen to song after song while on the web. Some of the internet channels are also great. I listen to "The Eagle" quite often.

Led Zeppelin
Eagles
Beatles
Doobie Brothers
Blue Oyster Cult
BTO
Three Dog Night
Nazareth

haha, That's what I got for listening to Mozart when I was a baby.:woot:

Aruba... Pretty Mama ... Ummm what? Me Sing?

Odd? for those at that age and not mentioned
one word of Kiss, Carpenters, Mac Davis, Elvis,
Osmonds, Jackson 5, AC/DC, Grand Funk Railroad,
(I know, I've got them all assorted batch there,
:roflmao:)

Meanwhile - stay tuned while I sing:

KOKOMO - :pfft:

i'm a 30 something, and my favorite music is that from the 30s. it had a good beat and you could "feel" the music. my grandma intruduced me to it as a small child and i have loved it ever since.

Then you would know Ramblin' Rose from Nat King Cole,
it's one of my favorite and I have his first LP Album. But
I have the Roarin' 20s, and Dazzlin' 30s and Warbird 40s,
and Rockin' 50s, and Rancid 60s and Metallic 70s and...

I think it's time for me to shut up!

:noevil:

What's happened to all the good music? .... Any input?...?

There are great bands out there, you just need to find them. You just need to sift through the other manufactured crap to find it. The 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's had hundreds of great bands. Some of them are still around recording and preforming. Here is a small list of some various good bands that are easy to listen and enjoy.

Alter Bridge
Mötley Crüe
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
Ozzy Osbourne
KISS
Staind
Hinder
Chicago
38 Special
Sammy Hagar
AC/DC
Pat Benatar
Daughtry
Alabama
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Evanescence
Alicia Keys
BTO
Billy Joel
Billy Idol
BON JOVI
Boston
Bryan Adams
David Bowie
FAT JOE
H.I.M.
Fuel
Genesis
Goo Goo Dolls
Meat Loaf
Have Love Will Travel Review
Heart
Huey Lewis & the News
Journey
LeAnn Rimes
Phil Collins
Rod Stewart
Scott Stapp
U2

Grrrr - had to go to Japan to steal him!

Ahhhhh Billy Joel!!!

Swoooooons ....
My favorite! But I had to go to Japan
to snatch it!

Proudly presents .....

Just the way you are ...

Last edited:
Yes, he had his own band after Van Halen......

......The David Lee Roth Band :paperbag:

I saw them in concert just for the band alone (great musicians)....
...David bit.

God help me......

Some are switching to country!

Some of these bands and singers that are still around. Are switching over to country or kinds of music.
David

I like a lot of older music (often much older than me) but most often in our house you will hear Bon Jovi ( my 4 year old does a fab rendition of living on a prayer!), Evanescence, Greenday, The Levellers are a particular long-time favourite of mine, Nickelback (my 6 yr old's favourite), Linkin Park (not too good if you can't ignore the swearing!), or the Rasmus (don't know if they've been released in America, the band's from Finland). I also have a bit of a passion for Paul Young songs, as they remind me of times spent with my Dad when I was young before he died. ABBA for cheesy pop (can't beat them!), err a touch of Queen, Also I like Sandi Thom, and Dido, Texas, Chilli Peppers, Pulp, Nirvana, Slade and Suzanne Vega. Bit of a mixed bag! BUT I can sympathise with the Hannah Montana/ Miley Cyrus stuff, and if I hear Unfabulous from High School Musical once more, I may just HAVE to jump up and down repeatedly on my 10yr old daughter's stereo!!!

Personally, right now I'm into....

the Raconteurs, Del Castillo, and Carolyn Wonderland.

Good stuff.

Heh Heh Heh And to say you heard it from ...

Here it is ... the very first and original,
and it made it all time HIT (sorry California
Raisins! :roflmao:) ....

Gladys Knight and the Pips - when they
first belted it out in the "SAVE THE CHILDREN"
in 1972 (I think?)

And it was AWESOME! Gotta give them all
the credit for making this one lively - so
c'mon and sing along with them!

Motown

Gladys Knight and the Pips - when they
first belted it out in the "SAVE THE CHILDREN"
in 1972 (I think?)

And it was AWESOME! Gotta give them all
the credit for making this one lively - so
c'mon and sing along with them!

Yes, where would this discussion be without some great Motown!

Marvin Gaye wrote so much terrific music.

Personally as a teenager with today's music I can't stand listening to what most people my age listen to. There is no substance to this music. It's all the same and everything is about sex. I mostly listen to country, but I love the golden oldies. I grew up with that and that's what I consider real music. As far as talent goes, in my opinion there isn't much on the Billboard's Top 20 or whatever. My favorite band is Queen. Now, Freddie Mercury, that was talent. His vocal range and writing was talent. You don't find too many artists today who can really call themselves that. An example or an artist from today's music is Taylor Swift. She sings, plays her own guitar, and writes her own music. I loved the music of the 90s though. Other than them I like country, Queen, The Shirelles, Ella Fitzgerald (I live in the 40s. it's my favorite era) and so many of that older type of music. I have a good mix of what kind of music is on my playlist. I do like some songs from today, but I cannot stand rap! That is not music. But you'll find anything from The Temptations to Disney songs to Queen to Taylor Swift (I hate the way they do her pop versions. ugh) in my playlist. (By the way. playlist.com is a great site to put free songs on a playlist to play them on your computer. You can put up to 200 songs per playlist.)

Hi Eeyore,

If you like Taylor Swift, you would probably love Carly Simon. She and her ex-hubby James Taylor are one of the best song writing and singing couples ever. The music is a little different, but I can see a lot of similarities between Taylor and Carly.

Back
Top Bottom