What type of medication is everyone on and...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

One reason: With Keppra, you can get up to a working dose very quickly. (Unlike Lamictal, where the process can take many weeks). Keppra also is available as a generic (Levetiracetam), which can keep costs down.

It may keep costs down, but for some of us, it doesn't keep seizures down. I can't do generic AED's.

90% of patient's with TLE is refractory? Are your you sure about that? That's an awfully huge # of patients to have refractory epilepsy.QUOTE]

Cint, I meant with MTS as I was explaining about myself, sorry, left out a few words.

Because TLE with mesial temporal sclerosis is refractory to antiepileptic medications in more than 90% of patients with the condition, early surgical intervention is now advocated.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/172/9/1175

Now my Neuro told me my memory loss was from the seizures, killing off parts of my brain that will never re-generate. :( I have to wonder. I've never researched it, just gone on her word.

I am going to research tegretol a bit. I am limited because I have low platelets (really low, it is part of my birth defect.... I run around 40,000 which is normal for me). I do remember her telling me that.

I don't think I would want more anxiety... I am already on anxiety meds. Starting when my oldest was diagnosed with bi-polar and a host of other issues. :( But I can not seem to shed the weight or regain any of my memory issues.

Some of the other meds are just as bad. Topomax, as said before, is also know as Dopamax and can make memory worse, Keppra can cause anger/rage/anxiety issues (Kepprage), Trileptal caused low sodium for me, and a lot of the drugs can make memory worse. There are side effects for all drugs.

I am on CARBMAZEPINE. Is that generic? I was put on it also I believe for costs (at the time I had no insurance).

It may keep costs down, but for some of us, it doesn't keep seizures down. I can't do generic AED's.

Carbamazepine is the generic for Tegretol.

I should see if Tegretol is covered (the real deal). My doctor (FP) thinks I am having petite seizures (where I just blank out for a time... and have no memory of doing stuff). I wonder if it is because I am on generic or if it plays a part.

Of course my family doctor wants me to do another 21 day study to see how much or if my brain/brain functions have changed in the last 12 years and how much :/ I don't think my husband could handle our kids that long. I know he couldn't. We have no family here, so I don't see the test happening.

Carbamazepine is the generic for Tegretol.

Hi again - tell your doctor you want to try name brand Tegretol. Yes cost more but I never had a seizure when I tried taking the generic but I just felt funny in the head and when I told my doc. that he told me to take name brand only and he has written several letters to different health insurance companies stating I have to take name brand. That way I still pay a copay but full amount of drug. The doctor has to do what you want. Then if that doesn't work then do a cat scan/eeg or whatever to see any changes. My doc just does the eeg and can tell from that. But I do go to a neurologist not a family doc.

Also the funny feeling went away when I went to name brand also.

I will mention it to her next time I go in. I have a co-pay no matter what. Generally $1.10. I am sure she would do any test that was needed to get me back on the Tegretol (real stuff). I didn't have insurance, and the generic, I could afford.

I need to find a neurologist here that will take medicaid and medicare. I know generic is SUPPOSE to have the same amount of medication as name brand, but I was told it does not always happen.

Hi again - tell your doctor you want to try name brand Tegretol. Yes cost more but I never had a seizure when I tried taking the generic but I just felt funny in the head and when I told my doc. that he told me to take name brand only and he has written several letters to different health insurance companies stating I have to take name brand. That way I still pay a copay but full amount of drug. The doctor has to do what you want. Then if that doesn't work then do a cat scan/eeg or whatever to see any changes. My doc just does the eeg and can tell from that. But I do go to a neurologist not a family doc.

Topomax has all the same side effects and more than Keppra. They all can cause anxiety/anger/rage/crying/nightmares/suicidal thoughts etc... But tegretol does cause weight gain. The others don't. Your weight will come off with exercise w/ another drug. I know but as stated before you have to go thru trial and error to figure out which drug / drug combination is right for you. Also on keppra you have to drink a large quantity of water however it's worth since I don't have the side effects like I did on Topomax. Again you have to figure out what is right for you.

I will talk to my doctor again and see who she can recommend for a Neuro. I do not like the weight gain :( AT all.

Tegretol works, but I am almost at the weight I was when I was full blown pregnant :/ NOT digging it and it isn't helping my arthritis at all. I can not exercise because of the arthritis and muscles seize up in my back.

Topomax has all the same side effects and more than Keppra. They all can cause anxiety/anger/rage/crying/nightmares/suicidal thoughts etc... But tegretol does cause weight gain. The others don't. Your weight will come off with exercise w/ another drug. I know but as stated before you have to go thru trial and error to figure out which drug / drug combination is right for you. Also on keppra you have to drink a large quantity of water however it's worth since I don't have the side effects like I did on Topomax. Again you have to figure out what is right for you.

I understand about the weight gain :) been there done that. now I'm taking Zumba Dance Classes - not depressed like I was. Life is good again. It will be for you too.

Just be patient, don't stress and Good luck.

wow, it would bother me if the doctor did not have a really good reason switching me. I only switched to tegretol b/c my gums were receeding so bad (still are) and dilantin made me tired.

well two of the three times I've been put onto a med related to my epilepsy I've been out of it, postictal, and then sort of came out of it to find myself on a new med

dilantin doesn't make me sleepy at all - but haloperidol makes me pretty woozy

Back
Top Bottom