When someone sees you have a seizure for their first time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Of course all of my family have witnessed my complex partial seizures andknowjust to sit with me until I become clear headed again.I always try to prepare new friends forsomething they may witness so they won't be scared. Justafew monthsago thishappened and I know the friend appreciated knowing howto react. I know it makes my husband feel better that,although I had another seizure, at least another person is prepared for what will happen

laughter

Something so serious has to have some humor at times! My t/cs are when I go to sleep, so mostly hidden from the world. Except for a trip I took one time and shared a hotel room with another gal. Had a t.c. and she freaked! I wake up to a room full of the other guest and firemen! My hair was my first thought when I laid eyes on those fellas. Crap! How embarrassing.

and firemen! My hair was my first thought when I laid eyes on those fellas. Crap! How embarrassing.

Haha right on. I totally get ya, firemen? To hell with the seizure how do I look? Sweating? Makeup running amok? I didn't have hot firemen but one of the ambulance attendants was pretty cute. Of course tho most of the time I was in the ambulance with him I was on the phone crying to my boyfriend.
Looked in the mirror at the hospital and was like, 'Oh god what is that. Didn't realize one could become so pale. Looked like I just crawled out from under a bridge.' :roflmao:

vanity

Ain't it grand! Our first thoughts are how we must look to the rest of the world! I think it creates a diversion for me and the anger I feel at having another seizure. Bleh!

Yeah good point. For me it's quick instinct to start having normal every day thoughts, I think it's my mind's way of trying to downplay what just happened. Start with denial, then babbling like a baby, then acceptance once you hear the babble, then the urge to try and make yourself feel normal, in any way.
So, normal for a girl to hope she looks good, in any situation. But hey if there's firemen (or anyone in a uniform for that matter), it goes up a few notches.

The first time my husband saw me have a seizure was when we were dating. When I started having the seizure he called my parents. They told him to wait another five minutes and if I didn't start to come out of it to call them back. I didn't so he called them back and my dad said they would be over to get me and we'd go to the hospital.

My husband started to freek out because I didn't have any clothes on at the time (not going to say why) and he knew he had to get me dressed before they got there. I fought like crazy with him while he was trying to put my clothes on me. He finally gave up on the underware and just worried about the shirt and pants. Luckily he got me dressed before they got there.

We still get a good laugh about this one!

First time I had a T-C I was visitting my mother and I was reading a book on the computer and my mother went to go take a quick power nap and somewhere in there it happened and I fell out of the chair and the crash woke her up - she says she freaked out and even though she was an at home aide and had been trained about epilepsy she had never seen a seizure and she thought I was having a stroke and she called 911 and was a mess the whole week - first time with my brother around he did everything perfect helped me get prone on the ground and put his shirt under my head on the floor BUT he jammed a metal spoon in my mouth - nOT a good idea. He was awesome. Helped me go to restroom cuz I couldn't walk so he slung his head under my shoulder and got me there and somehow post I tally I stood long enough to urinate before collapsing on way out. And by the time my wife finally saw me have one she did everything 100 percent correct saying our dog woke her uP to find me in status and I had a 30 min tc

i reach out for a fag aswel after i come round feel normal again

There was actually an element of relief the first time I saw my daughter have a T-C. She'd been taken to hospital straight from school, after possibly having a seizure but no-one was quite sure what had happened. We'd been there for about 4 hours and she had been in a very confused state throughout. Then she had a T-C when I was alone with her in the bathroom and at least I was able to recognise it for what it was.

Looking back, I don't understand why she didn't have an EEG until the following day. Instead, they opted for an MRI and pumping her full of antibiotics and anti-virals. And attempting a attempting a lumbar puncture/spinal tap. Considering how awful my husband felt after one of the latter, I'm glad they didn't succeed.

I know one of the UK charities has a video showing a T-C and how to deal with it. Is it worth showing something like that to people or is it just going to freak them out? I can't really imagine showing it to my daughter's teenage friends.

Im going to keep this really short,usually when someone sees me seize for the first time,they freak out.Which is kind off understandable as i have tonic-clonics.Ive seen a couple people have tonics before,and im sure if i never knew what to do,id be pretty shook up myself.

Thankfully, nearly all of my seizures have occurred in the presence of family and close friends.

While having the aura, I am able to promptly tell somebody near me not to call the ambulance and may even have enough time to quickly tell them what I have.

Only time I ever went to the hospital for a seizure was when I had one while driving and crashed into a tree.

Back
Top Bottom