1st timer!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

todub

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

My name is Lucas. I am a 21 year old college student who was diagnosed with epilepsy in August 2007. I have complex partial seizures. I have already taken Keppra, Tegratol, and Topamax. None of those medications worked for me. I am going to pick up a prescription for Dilantin tomorrow. If anyone has any experience with Dilantin or any form of Phenytoin for that matter your input or anything else you may have to say regarding the drug may help.

thanks for reading

Welcome Lucas.

I took dilantin 5 years straight from my first seizure. I weaned myself off last year. Dilantin is an old stand-by. Been used many years. Some people have gum problems with it. I had aphasia (difficulty with word recall, talking) and balance issues. Sometimes stumble like I'm tipsy.

:hello: Lucas!

I've been on Dilantin / Phenytoin for many,
many years, for over 20+ years, but there
were some short spans where I was off of
it while trying some other med-combo.

I never had any side-effects being on either
prescription - Brand or Generic.

HOWEVER - Dilantin has a new look and
a new design now which is half white and
half orange, while some of the original white
with orange middle bands are still around,
still being used up - both are still Dilantin.
The white ones with orange center bands
are being discontinued.

However, the years of being on Dilantin at
very high levels had an impact on my teeth
especially when I was on it monotherapy
(meaning by itself - no other meds).

I would go back with Dilantin / Phenytoin in
a heartbeat, because it works!

BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS - Every
AED (anti-epileptic drug) effects everyone
differently, because we are all different!

Hi Lucas... Welcome!
My daughter Rebecca is 15 and began having seizures a year ago. She too has been on a few meds and is currently trying to increase trileptal. So far so good.

I see better improvement though from the alternative choices I am following for her, such as diet, vitamin and mineral supplements and hormonal adjustments.

I don't know much about your particular prescription, except I found this site to be helpful:

http://www.askapatient.com/

Hi Lucas, welcome to the forum. :hello:

My wife is currently taking Dilantin and it has been the drug that she has tolerated best over the years (ie. least side effects).

There is a difference in how the body metabolizes the brand name Dilantin from the generic phenytoin pills. They use different bindres/fillers and the brand name appears to metabolize in the most consistent manner (no peaks or valleys in blood levels). Since the patent expired on Dilantin a while back, the cost difference between generic and brand name isn't that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom