adjusting medication

How do you think I should have started taking my meds again?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been on 200 mg 2xa day for over a year now. for some reason my insurance didn't want to cover it for whatever reason after they have been for over a year. So needless to say last weekend I ran out and didn't have my meds for 4 days. after hours on the phone with my insurance company and numerous Dr's and pharmacy's I finally had it approved. Now that I have been back on it I have had side effects of blurred vision, uncordination, drowsiness and lack of my normal emotions. Do you think I should have started back on my meds at a lower dose even though my body metabolizes the medication very fast. my levels are always very low in the low 4 range. do you think this is a normal readjusting to my meds. Any info would be greatly appreciated . Thank YOU Michael

were you able to start back on the name brand or generic? I know my insurance company always will push the generic. I make sure that my prescriptions are checked fill as written. I have had trouble with the generic versions before.

I think if enough time has passed between dosing, it makes sense to start small and build back up. With a 4-day gap, it's a little hard to say for sure -- if you were seizing a lot, then ramping up fast would make sense. I have low levels too, but I always go slow whenever I ramp on or taper off. Generally speaking, the slower the pace in either direction, the less likely you are to experience side effects. It may be a matter of a few weeks before things settle down for you -- hopefully they will do so soon.

As huskymom says, there may also be an issue with the particular med if it is different from what you were taking before.

also if it was a generic...is it the same generic you were taking before. I find that makes a difference to me as well especially with my AED meds... My phamacy that I go to at CVS just stopped stocking my generic brand of Topomax I usually take,so I had to request that they specifically oder it in since the brand that they stock gives me side effects. Thankfully they are able to order it in for me.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom