am i fine to lift weights?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

recall92

New
Reaction score
hi i was diagnosed with epilepsy in Feb. I usually have complex partials. I had 1 tonic clonic in Feb and had one last Fri. I bit my lip and it still hurts :( anyway am i fine to do heavy lifting tonight?

i mean heavy weight lifting at the gym like 286 pounds on the bench press 6 reps, 3 sets etc

How steady are you feeling? No weakness, dizziness, headache I assume? All the doctors I've met so far say my daughter does not have any sports restrictions except climbing or driving 4-wheeler. I would have a spotter or whatever you call them just to be safe.

I think you would have a better idea of whether you can lift than anyone else. You are most familiar with your seizures, what triggers them (even if that really isn't too well yet) & how much warning you have.

I found that when I worked out regularly my seizures lessened & weren't as intense.

I would suggest you keep track of your seizures and when you work out & see if you notice any patterns that imply it effects your epilepsy.

If you're unsure about working out & there is a trainer or medical person at the gym I would recommend letting them know. Same if you have a workout buddy, maybe even get a "safe" word so s/he knows when you feel a seizure coming on (assuming you have a warning or aura)

Go for it I say, but just keep in mind if your benching heaps and you flip all alone you could be in trouble... not that you would know it though.

Get a buddy, tell them your story and Im sure they will be keen to spot you.

Be smart and fight the risk, get cut and some girls. Two birds with one stone, I love it.

Jonny.

Back
Top Bottom