Anger issues years after grand mal??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cjcorner

New
Reaction score
I am glad I found your website. My husband had a grand mal Christmas of 2002 and over the years I have begun to deal with a ton of anger from him. It seems to be getting worse over time and I am trying to understand how to help him. But it is getting more and more difficult as he constantly is angry over even the slightest thing he senses as a slight or that he feels someone should have done different. When I mention his anger to the doctors they shrug and tell me dementia is normal and don't tell me anything to do about this. I would really love some help here...am I going to have to admit my husband?? He refuses to even consider going to talk to someone about it. But soon it is going to become impossible to live with him and i'm afraid sooner or later he is going to get hit for being so mean with everyone. Help! Any advice???
Connie

Does he have epilepsy or was the seizure just a one-time isolated event?
And does he take any medication since he had the seizure?

And welcome to CWE connie! :)

Hi Connie and welcome to CWE,

Dealing with any type of seizures and dementia is tough. What brought on the seizure? Did he have a stroke or head injury?

Is it anger or depression? Sometimes depression manifests itself as anger. At least mention it to the dr.

Hi Cjcorner, welcome!

Some anti-seizure medications can cause moodiness and anger, so that may be one place to start. There are other potential medical causes of anger too: heart disease, certain head injuries, as well as Alzheimer's and dementia. Your doctors may be right about dementia being the cause, but they shouldn't be dismissive of your concerns and should be partnering with you to find a cause and a solution. If they won't help you persist in finding doctors who will.

Best,
Nakamova

As nakamova asked, is he on any meds? I know Keppra is one that can cause you to get angry over the littlest thing. I'm on it and just about everything sets me off.

Must be hard CJ. He's lucky to have someone watching over him. There is a lot of good advice here and people to help you. Be strong and get help if needed in communicating with the Doctors. They should be addressing these issues and helping you solve these problems. Maybe a health care advocate can help you.

last seizure was on June 1, 2012.

Hello, I actually have Grand Mals myself and am angry a lot afterwards. I hear it all the time from many of my friends and family that I am rude or just plain mean to them. I am taking Zonisimade 600mg and have been since 2009. I am to afraid to switch pills myself and I personally think the doctors sometimes have no idea what they are talking about because everytime they switch a pill I seem to have a seizure after they tell me "oh no it won't give you a seizure"....and then i have a seizure. That is my theory. I stick with the high dose of Zonisimade, stick with the constant headaches, being scared has pretty much left me now, except when I have a seizure my paranoia comes back for about a week and then I get I guess angry for maybe a month and a little depression sets in. But it all seems to go away. I agree if you got someone like you helping him out everyday just because he is angry doesn't mean he isn't the same person. I think its like having a constant headache and you feel like you just want to be left alone. But you have the help and your glad the help is there. Your the help and I'm sure he is glad to have you there. I definitely would say something to him though. People are always telling me, in a fun way, laughing about it so i don't get more angry or something. I am a very difficult person to talk to many people have told me that. Because I don't ever see things how others do I guess. Over time I have seen a little about what some of them meant but I hope you get the help that you need. Good luck.

Hi Ryan --

When I was on Zonisamide, I was very cranky -- in part because the med made it very hard for me to eat. Low blood sugar/being hungry can make a person angry -- don't know if that's a factor for you. Also, just a note of caution with Zonisamide: it can cause metabolic acidosis, so the FDA recommends testing serum bicarbonate before going on the med and periodically while on it. More info here: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety...mationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm095251.htm

Effects from Zonisimade 600mg

Thanks, that sounds just like my current situation actually. I don't eat very much all the time, my family and friends always tell me I'm angry all the time. And I suffer from constant headaches.

Eat ryan eat :) or at least make good choices if you only eat a little. Protien throughout the day is essential with complex carbs ( brown rice, not chocolate chip cookies) :) you will feel alot better.

Back
Top Bottom