Boyfriend Has Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't attempt to mess with him during a seizure... it's very dangerous for both of you, but it's especially dangerous for you. If he whacks you, it'll be at nearly full force, because there's no controlling the muscles so he can't hold back. If he were to catch you with his elbow at full force, that hit can be lethal. I have a background in martial arts and have seen the how much damage one strike can cause, and it's nothing to be messed with.

If you feel like you need to do CPR, wait until the convulsing has stopped and call the paramedics. However after a seizure, breathing resumes very quickly afterwords so that shouldn't be needed. It's more terrifying and traumatic for you than it is for him. He's not even aware of what's going on when it happens. If you feel he needs immediate medical attention, then by all means call them, but the vast majority of the time it simply happens, it's scary, but overall it's not a huge deal because the person recovers.

Um... I'd rouse him from his sleep a little bit later if you really need to, just to make sure he's alright. Right after he's done seizing, it'll be nearly impossible, and he'll likely be in a post-ictal state and not know what's going on. Let him get his rest if you can, but if you can't sleep and some time has passed and you feel you need to check on him... it's not a bad thing. Though, it sounds like a regular thing, so if things don't seem out of the ordinary (That term is relative to your situation... Epilepsy isn't exactly "ordinary" for most people... haha) then let him get his sleep. :)

I would say prod him to get an appointment. In the meantime keep making those excellent journal entries about what's happening. If you can have everything you've seen documented, you might be able to figure things out in one visit. :)

Oops I missed your question about the video game...

Honestly if it were to trigger him, it would trigger him right then, or trigger an aura he'd notice before the seizure came on later. However playing a game, then going about his other business feeling totally normal, then going to sleep... I don't think that'd be a cause for his seizures.

Others may disagree, but in my opinion I don't think it'd trigger him later on, after he's already shut it off and is doing something else. Any other opinions on this one? I don't play many video games so it's never been something I've really put any thought into. :)

Some kinds of triggers can have a secondary or delayed effect. Looking at a monitor for a long period of time can mess with your ability to sleep afterwards, so in that sense the video games could trigger a delayed response. Or if he plays to the extent that he forgets to eat and drink properly, that could have a delayed effect if he is triggered by low blood sugar or dehydration. Some folks also get eyestrain or muscle strain from intense gaming, so if these contribute to lowering his seizure threshold, that's something to watch out for. In all these cases, paying close attention and keeping a journal can help identify if one or more factors are related to his seizure activity.

Holy crap girl you're a worried mess.... just like me... I've reviewed every scenario as well for myself... its exhausting. I dont know all the answers to you're questions, but i know there are people here that can help. I hear you saying that the cost of 911 and med bills are a concern as there is no insurance. I have two suggestions not sure they will pan out. Check with your college for student health insurance. Also. Have him fill out medi-cal paperwork (I'm in california so not sure where you are) but basically look for county health insurance options. Sometimes the hospitals can help with this once you enter the ER.

Back
Top Bottom