Can withdrawal of Clobazam cause increased seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We are decreasing the dose of Clobazam for my dd. She was having around 15 seizures a day and now she has up to 50. Can this be a result of the whitdrawal?
Anyone with similar experience? :ponder:

Any chemical changes whether organic or induced can cause changes in neurolgical behaviors.
It certainly can be a result in withdrawal, and can even out or reduce over time... or not.
It is a risk that you take. Just have to decide if it is worth the risk.

I increased supplementation and nutrients at the time that we were encouraging Rebecca's seizure threshold to be stronger. We focused on all possible triggers.

Stay strong, believe in your instincts. It is so easy to question what you are doing.
Just as increasing meds can cause certain side effects the same can happen when reducing the meds.

It took a while for my daughters seizures to subside. I can only pray that that will be your daughters response as well.

Keep ativan on hand if you can.

Hi Sofijakalinovska --

Withdrawal from Clobazam can definitely cause an increase in seizures. Withdrawal (especially rapid withdrawal) from any of the AEDs can potentially cause more seizures, but the risks are even higher with Clobazam because it's a benzodiazepine. Has your daughter been placed on another med?

Thank you both!
The withdrawal is not fast. We reduce 1/8 (1.25 mg) every week....
She also takes topamax and lamotrigine. B6 too.

Atavan is also known as Lorazepam -- it's often prescribed on a short-term basis to stop seizures.

Sometimes seizure meds cause seizures. Perhaps the remaining combo of topomax and lamotrigine need to be adjusted in some way? Have the docs suggested any alternatives?

The B6 is a good supplement to take, especiall in combination with other B meds. Magnesium is another I would recommend, along with calcium and Vitamin D. (As always, check with her doctor before adding supplements).

She also takes Mg/Ca supplement. Now I'm testing if it is a case of B6 defficiency (even thogh it doesn't seem like it) But, you can never know what might help you.
I guess B6 defficiency goes along with growth and learning problems (which she never had - except when she took hydrocortisone which litteraly changed her - she stopped communicating).
The docs are not suggesting anything, we are currently making our own decisions... and on the GARD diet too...

Back
Top Bottom