canker sores

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eem

New
Reaction score
I have been on Trileptal 600mg 2x a day for about a month. It took 2 more months to work up to that. Recently I go from one canker sore to another. Has anyone else had this problem or is it unrelated? I read something about a B12 deficiency causing canker sores possibly. Is that related to Trileptal?

Thanks. May seem silly put they are so bad it hurts to eat, talk and sometimes even swallow so I have to figure this out.
Erin

If you're low in folate and/or B12, that can trigger canker sores. Many of the anti-seizure meds interfere with our folate and B12 levels, so you may want to ask your doctor about adding a vitamin supplement.

Canker sores can also be triggered by things like food sensitivities (chocolate, coffee, strawberries, eggs, nuts, cheese and highly acidic foods), or conditions celiac disease, so you may want to rule out other causes just to be on the safe side.

Have you tried Anbesol for the pain? It can help.

There is also a rinse called Amosan that helps them heal much faster.

It worked for me & it doesn't sting.

Sorry about the canker sores...they really do hurt. I doubt they do the following treatment anymore, but years ago (about40) I was re-vaccinated for smallpox which cured my long history of canker sores. Just a little medical trivia from days gone by as to what was acceptable treatment. Epileric and Nakamova gave some great modern suggestions.

Also, if it hurts to swallow you may want to see an ENT doctor or your primary care physician.
Hope you feel better soon.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom