Carbamazepine new user

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jade05, carbamazepine is used for seizures, I'm on both lamotrigine and carbamazepine myself, and they have worked the best of what I have taken so far. I still have seizures, but not as many as I could if I wasn't on them!

Caramazepine and Lamotrigine

Hi Seizuregirl, thank you for your reply, it's really helpful. I wish I had taken carbamazepine this week as I was put out for the whole day on Wednesday with a seizure and then had neuralgia the next day. It'll be better in future knowing that I can combine them. All the best to you.

Hey jade05,

Just for future reference, if you're not sure about drug interactions, your pharmacist is a good resource. Also drugs.com: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/lamictal-with-tegretol-1430-848-497-234.html The info at the link actually suggests that there may be a moderate interaction:

this combination may cause restlessness, seizures, tremors, slurred speech, staggering walk, and feeling light-headed or fainting. If you take both medications together, tell your doctor if you have any of these symptoms. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests in order to safely take both medications together.

...so you might want to proceed carefully until you know if the meds are gonna play nice with each other in your system. Let your neuro know.

Carbamazepine (tegretol), has been a main drug for me quite a long time(probably more than 20 years) now and my neurologists tells me he will not let me quite it... goodness what a difference it has been in my life, guess he knows. Lamotrigine, is my secondary drug, and I really do not like it much as it does not totally clear me of seizures :-( but for some of us I guess they never totally go away :-(

jade05, you asked if one can take the two drugs, carba and lamo, I know I can take them both but I suspect it depends of each of us differently... fingers crossed for you.

Lamotrigine and carbamazepine

Thanks to Nakamova and Cadsgi for your replies. I have only recently joined this website but I am so glad I did. I struggled for years with my seizures before I even saw a doctor. Unfortunately the seizures are far worse than ever. I am having an EEG next Wednesday but I have a feeling that this isn't going to show much. I don't know why. Is there is anyone out there that feels they have benefited? I went out shopping with my husband yesterday and I joked that we have to get out quickly on the days I don't have seizures! But it's not funny really.

Has your doc ever tried putting you on the name brand only? Name brand is the only one I can take with my AEDs the generics will send my seizures through the roof.I couldn't take Lamotrigine for anything I'm med resistant and allergic to meds there are very few meds I can take at all.

carbamazepine & lamotrigine

Hi, Belinda, thank you for your reply. I haven't thought about the medication that you have mentioned. If I am allergic to it, does that mean I will have seizures as if I'm not on medication at all? How are your seizures now that you have sorted your meds out? Kindest regards

Some people are allergic to the generics, but sometimes the bad reaction to generics is because they don't always contain the same amount of the active ingredient as the name-brand versions do. They can also be inconsistent from batch to batch and/or from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you're at all sensitive to even minor fluctuations in dosage, those kinds of inconsistencies can lead to increased seizures. For this reason, many neurologists specify "brand only, no substitutions."

Back
Top Bottom