Connection between Epilepsy and Parasites?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rastafari

New
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Im new here, and though I do not have epilepsy I do have a brother suffering from it and I wanted to ask a few questions that have been boggling me.

My mother told me that when I was 3 years old that I suffered two seizures in 24 hours. Following the seizures I fell asleep for 6 straight hours and woke up to suddenly have another one both from which I slept. The docter checked me out and tested me. His diagnosis was that I did not have epilepsy and that it was in fact a parasitic infection, worms in my intestine,that caused it. He was right. I never experienced anything after that and im 26 now.

My brother on the otherhand was diagnosed with epilepsy two years ago. He gets a seizure about every 6-10 months (one of which cost him his job). He's a great guy and I wish this wasn't the case.

What I have been thinking though is that because our family has absolutely no history of Epilepsy that maybe this infection could be caused by a parasite? The only thing else he seems to suffer from is a nasty case of athlethes foot! He developed this illness at about 19 years of age. Unusually he seems to recover from a seizure right away, following his seizures he usually just has a cigarette and says "oh well sh*t happens". Last week he went to the gym one hour after having a heavy seizure (lasting 3 minutes or so) and did not feel a bit sleepy or jaded from it which I have heard from epileptic friends is most unusual.

Im looking for the advice of people here on this question which is wrecking my head at the moment.

Cheers.

Hi Rastafari -- Cheers, and welcome to CWE!

It would be unusual for your brother have seizures caused by parasites without him showing other symptoms of such an infection (like headaches and balance problems). But if there's even a small chance that your brother may have been infected by parasites in time before his seizures developed, then it's worth having him see a doctor to get checked out.

Of course it's quite possible that his seizures are not parasite-related; the majority of seizure disorders are of unknown origin, with no known family history. If your brother's seizures are becoming more frequent, it's important for him to try and get them under control. Otherwise, the brain can get in the habit of seizing, and the seizures can become worse.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome Rastafari

It is true that certain diseases can cause isolated seizures, especially in infants without them actually being continuous epileptic seizures. I don't know if intestinal worms can cause them but I see no reason not to believe the doctor.

As for your brother, I don't see how athletes foot can have any sort of neurological effects. It isn't uncommon for people to be born with epilepsy despite no history of it in the family (like myself).

Also, I moved your post to the foyer so everyone can welcome you & give their input.

Welcome Rastafari,

Although I cannot personally aid you with this question, I wanted to welcome you to CWE. I hope this site's community can help you find answers.

Tom

welcome!

I have never heard this connection before but since you both suffered from it and your was beacause of a parasite. I dont see why he shouldnt get an appointment and check it out. Anything that gets checked out could be one more step closer to solving his epilepsy. Interesting thought I wonder how many doctors didnt overlook a case like yours?

Link between Epilepsy and Parasites

Hi,

How are you and your brother?. I wish that I had come across your post sooner.

What you are suggesting sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

I have Epilepsy and after a significant amount of research into this subject, I do believe that it's quite possible that there is a link between the two.

When I realised that I displayed certain symptoms that could be parasite infection, I looked deeper into it and I remembered something that happened which linked to what many other people were experiencing.

12 months prior to having my 1st seizure I felt an unusual (and frightening) sound / sensation coming from my head which sounded like bubbling. I did not report it to my doctor because I did not have enough faith in them to I investigate it thoroughly. This same sensation is what other Epilepsy sufferers have described prior to having their first seizure(s). It's the sound / sensation of parasites travelling through the brain. They can cross the blood brain barrier.

Although I did not have another seizure for 6 years, when they did occur, it was violent. After a 6 month investigation, I was told that unusual shading appeared on the MRI but it wasn't a tumour. I was put on Tegretol (1,200 mg a day). They weren't interested in getting to the root cause but were quite happy just masking my symptoms with medication that is harmful to the body (especially the liver) long term.

When I started my parasite detox I experienced the same feelings in my head and intestines. The sound / sensation of the parasites moving away from the anti parasitic agents. Like a mercury detox, it has to be done very slowly because parasites release dangerous chemicals when they die which would damage the liver.

A significant amount if individuals have parasites. The 2 biggest root causes are pets & raw sushi.

one of several causes for mine was a tick bit on my leg if it helps

Back
Top Bottom