Does Anyone have Positive Keppra reactions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jackier

New
Reaction score
Hi y'all. My new neurologist has put me on Keppra. I know meds affect each person differently, but Keppra seems to be on almost everyone's bad list. I was just wondering if you had any good/positive reactions to the med that you would share? I've always been moody before Keppra was ever in the picture. I'd like to give this new med a good chance to work.
thanks, Jackie
:e:

I've never tried it myself, but I know of at least one person (not a CWE member), who is quite happy with it, both in terms of seizure control and side effects.

Sounds good. Thanks for you response. Can I ask, how long have they been taking it?

I was very wary of it when i first started but i've been on 3000mg for nearly three years now and it's the only med i've tried which gives me very minimal side effects.

I'm also on Tegretol which is the one that causes all the side effects for me.

Hi Jackie,

I've been on Keppra (3000 mgs.) for 11 years now. It has been one that works for me, although, as you said, it does have a bad reputation for causing moods swings. Like you, I had my share of moodiness before I ever started Keppra.

Do mention it to your neuro if you do notice an increase in your depression, though.

Thanks, guys. So far I've had minimal side effects, too, Loop Lou. Just extreme tiredness in the very beginning. Thats getting better, although I feel at times I can never clear my eyes.

Hi Jackier
Good luck with the Keppra, hope it doesn't give you too any side effects.

I've been on Keppra for 4 years & am currently on 1000mg (twice a day). I have had very little side effects from the Keppra & I was lucky enough not to have the Keppra Rage as a side effect.
I'm also on Tegretol (which I've been on for 10 years) but am currently slowly being taken of the Tegretol.

Last edited:
I was on Keppra a few years ago, I was nearly suicidal, & so were my family trying to put up with me. It definitely didn't agree with me, I'm on topamax now which I find brilliant. It controls my seizures (& my weight) & everybody is happy

Keppra has slowed my reaction times a bit.

However as far as mood goes, I honestly find it's better than it was before. I say that because instead of being content to let things develop on their own (how I used to be) since I've started Keppra it's more or less lit a fire under my butt, causing me to be more inclined to go out and make the changes I want to happen. I don't think that's a bad thing :)

Maybe I'm just better at re-directing the mood swings it can make into positive things... Where other people probably would just get angry at something, I'll use that same energy to go out and change whatever was making me angry in the first place.

But of course, everyone is different, so that's just my own experience. :)

Thanks, for your responses everyone. Lynda1 take care of yourself. That feeling is no fun and very dangerous. Silat, thanks for putting into words the way I've been feeling lately. I recently told my friend that I think the med has helped me find my words & be more direct. (have you ever been at a loss for words & you just quit trying) So hopefully this will be a good change.

I still have trouble finding the exact word I'm looking for, however it's become easier to find other words that mean the exact same thing. So sometimes I may be unable to think of the word "cat" but "feline" will come to mind instead, rather than having a complete loss of words. Does that make sense? haha it's kinda weird :p

I'm more direct than I was before, as well. A possible negative is that I'm more willing to be confrontational. Thus far it's not been a problem, but I can see becoming confrontational with the wrong person/people being a problem in certain situations.

Jackier-
Welcome to CWE a wealth on info on here!
I've been on it for a 2 months give or take and just got bumped up to 2000mg a day now and have had a great experience with it so far, my seizures have reduced (not gone away completly) my mood swings are the same as before no real changes like Silat pointed out I'm a direct person as well and dont know how to put their quotes in my reply lol, but his last part I agree with 110% but for me I havent had any increase in mood swings, Keppra has a bad rep but meds affect everone differently.
Good luck let us know how it turns out for you!

Mike

I've had epilepsy for 9 years and I've been on Keppra for at least 5 of them but I know it's been longer than that.

I've never had any problems with depression but I have horrible anger issues with it. I've gotten to the point that I've wanted to punch a hole in the wall and have really come close to doing it.

I can't be around young kids any more. They just drive me crazy and I want to scream at them and I actually have. My friend came over once with her kids and one of them started coloring on the coffee table. I just let loose on the poor little girl making her cry like crazy. After a minute or two I realized what I was doing I calmed down and found her a coloring book to use.

Some people have said that B6 works well with the 'keprage' as it has become to be know as. I started talking it then started having a ton of seizures. This may just be me though because I've never heard of this happening to anyone else that's done it.

About 2 years ago my neuro increased my keppra and I started having more seizures. I stopped taking the increased dosage and was back to normal (if normal is what you call it?).

My neuro has been looking into a medicine that is fairly new and is thinking about putting me on it and taking me off the Keppra.

I just started taking Keppra 750 twice a day and tapering off Tegretol. Before I took it, I was very concerned about the negative reviews of Keppra, as well. I have been on Keppra for 4 months and have no problems with it at all. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I've been on Keppra for about 8 years. Keppra has worked very well for me. It was added as a secondary med with Tegretol. I was up to 3,000 mg/day at one point, but when Lamictal was added, I went down to 2500 mg/day. I've never had major side effects from it.

Last edited:
Ive been on Keppra since for the past 13 years. I was put on it around the age of 18, and two years ago, after 11 years of being on it, i switched over to Keppra XR. I was having alot of headaches with the Keppra. I was taking tons of migraine pills, and nothing was helping. So the dr who I started seeing in late 2010, told me he wanted me to try the Keppra XR. It stays in my system longer and doesnt have the "roller coaster" affect that keppra has. Since then, my headaches I had for all those years were finally gone! Ive taken 3000mgs of Keppra each day since the age of 18.

I was surprised how good a reaction I had to Keppra at first. My seizures were really well under control, and had no grand mals. I think it a good drug to at least try. Though Silat made a good observation and I never even brought this up. When I took Keppra I felt a lot more likely to not care about my anger control. Plus I would be more blunt like he stated. It got a little to much so I switched. But they say that it can take some time to find the right drug or drugs so I hope it works out well for you.

Keppra really affected me in a negative way. I was more irritable, and generally not myself. That's not how it is for everyone, and if you feel moodier, or different from who you, talk to your neurologist. I don't want anyone to be afraid of Keppra, I just don't think it should be taken lightly. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom