first seizure at age 36

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenn

New
Reaction score
Hello. Im 36 years old and i have never had a seizure before
That is until Jan. 15. 2016. Because of insurance i have to see a primaty dr to get a referral for a neuro. I was asleep and knew nothing was going on until i woke up burning up. I was told my whole body convulsed and i was making horrible noises. I bit my tongue pretty bad and it has been 5 days and its still swollen cant eat and the tip is numb. Any suggestions

I have an appt. On the 25th to see a primary dr. So i can get that referral

Tell me how can dr's confuse a stroke and a seizure?
I was talking to someone yesterday and her father was in the hospital and when I ask her way she explained that first they thought he had a stroke but when he had a MRI he had another seizure and they are assuming he had a seizure in the and I told her there no test to determine if some had a seizure it's just an educated guess.Her father is in his 70's and seniors do have sz's and the docs are guessing.

Hi jenn, welcome to CWE!

I had my first seizure out of the blue at age 35, and it sucked. It's possible that your seizure is a one-off, but you should be careful over the next few days and avoid driving. A few recommendations:

1. For the sore tongue/mouth: Anbesol (available OTC at the drugstore) can help with the swelling and soreness. Stick to non-spicy soft foods and liquids. Smoothies are good. Hard-boiled eggs and soups too. Make sure you are staying hydrated.

2. Write down any triggers/stresses that you can think of from the hours/days/weeks prior to your seizure. Cint mentions some possibilities in her post above. Fatigue is a big trigger. Others: low blood sugar, illness/infection/injury, food sensitivities or nutritional deficiencies, metabolic imbalances, emotional stresses... Also write down any unusual sensations you might have experienced and any other health issues -- even if you're not sure if they are connected to the seizure. All this info should be helpful when you see your doc.

If you're still feeling out of it, it might help to have someone come with you to any doctor's appointments to take notes and ask questions.

I hope you feel better soon.

Was just reminded that chamomile tea can also help with mouth sores. Be careful not to drink it too hot. Also, until your mouth has healed, avoid acidic foods like tomatoes.

Hi Jenn,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Getting a referral to a neurologist is definitely the way to go. I had my first tonic clonic at 36 as well. For me, it turns out I've had E (complex partial) since I was a child, but it was so "mild" that my parents didn't pick up on it. I'm really hoping this is a one time thing for you, but just in case it's not, please don't lose heart, and know that you have a strong support system through this forum.

Welcome Jenn,

Hmm, 36 sounds like the right age for me too, except for me, i had no idea what they were. They were not your full blown out seizures, just the lesser types. 2 times i had drop down seizures, lost control of my leg and went to the ground, felt like someone was pushing me down to the ground. Weird i know. But then the grand mall happened at 38, at work and i was really, all shook up, during and afterwards. That day the advice nurse from my hospital told me to come into the ER right away. I went and turned out to be a tumor the size of a baseball. That was almost 10 yrs ago, so I'm hopefully out of the woods as far as tumors go, although that's when life with seizures started. They started small but started to get bigger slowly as we upped the meds each time i complained to my doc that i had one.

The tongue biting can be horrible and last for days and months and maybe years. I still have the indentation of where one of my bits took place on the top of my tongue. I was on a soup diet for a while. The best soup was moms home cooked chicken soup, yummy.

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

36 I would have have rather had started having seizures later in my life, so I had a life.

Back
Top Bottom