First Time Poster...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Not sure where I fit in here...I have had health issues for several years now and always get the not really sure answers! Well, early this year I had an EEG that was abnormal and a second one that was also abnormal in November, so the neurologist I saw at Mayo thinks maybe I am having simple partial seizures and decided to start me on Keppra, that was 2 weeks ago...the episodes this year that have ended me here start out with itching, numbness, short term memory issues, trouble recalling words, uneven pupils, headache, difficulty completing tasks, nausea, among other not so fun symptoms. Every day I am waiting for these symptoms to miraculously disappear and unfortunately that is not happening. It is so hard going through something that your family cannot in any way comprehend. My husband is wonderful but he really doesn't get it. I am so tired! Thanks for listening...

Hi butlerbunch, welcome to CWE!

It may take time for the Keppra to kick in, or it might not be the right med for you. Unfortunately, there can be a lot of trial and error with epilepsy meds. Keep track of how you're feeling, and get in touch with the neurologist if the Keppra isn't helping control your symptoms, or if you have side effects that are problematic (it's known to cause moodiness and anger, among other things).

If you don't already, you might want to start keeping a seizure diary. A diary can help you look for patterns or possible seizure triggers. (Triggers can be things like fatigue, low blood sugar, food sensitivities, hormones, fluorescent lights, stress, etc.)

A good place to start at CWE is here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Hi. i started on Keppra over 2 months ago, it took about 5 to 6 weeks before i noticed a difference but there is definitely one. give the meds some time, i assume your dose will be going up?

thanks for replying...

I did take 1/2 a pill twice a day for the first week and a full pill twice a day (500mg pills) after that. I have been on the pills 2 weeks. I actually feel amazingly well today except for this sinus infection. I just am so tired of not feeling "well". Does anyone else feel like they are going "crazy"? I have never had a "seizure" as far as convulsions go. I just have all these crazy symptoms and it's weird to me that simple partial seizures in my head can cause all these symptoms...Not that I am complaining about a diagnosis! Been waiting for that for a LONG time!! lol... Thanks for listening and any advice/stories are appreciated....

thats weird i have a sinus infection at the moment as well. also i have never had a grand mal or tonic clonic seizure either. i have simple partial and complex partial seizures and when it all started in my teens i was convinced i was going crazy and i never said anything to anyone for years. there seems to be myriad of seizure symptoms involved in the simple partial and complex partial so i understand how you feel, and it is nice to finally get a diagnosis, but its a lot at the same time, im just over 2 months into my diagnosis and doing better, there have been ups and downs but its a good thing really to have an answer. I can empathise with the sick of not feeling well thing but hopefully the keppra will work for both of us and seizure control comes and with that relief. as i said i do notice a difference and im waiting for a time when im seizure free.

Hi, Butlerbunch,

Welcome!

I agree with the others. It can take some time for seizure meds to start working. The dose also has to be tinkered with to get it right. I know it's hard to be patient when you feel so awful. It took 1-1/2 years of trying meds, tinkering with doses, before my seizures were under control. They still are if I am not exposed to a serious trigger (like a medication I don't get along with)

Migraine headaches are often comorbid (happen together) with seizures. People with epilepsy have more migraines than the general public, and some say that migraines and seizures share some of the same mechanisms.

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/migraine.html

Some of your symptoms could be due to migraines. If the seizures are under control and you still have any of the symptoms, headaches, tingling, memory issues, nausea, trouble with tasks, uneven pupils, etc., then ask your neurologist about migraines. The good news is Keppra is a seizure drug, and it is also used to prevent migraines. So you are getting a 2-fer.

Info on migraine symptoms:

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/symptom_of_migraines.html

http://migraine.com/migraine-symptoms/ (look on the LH side for links to symptoms)

http://migrainessymptom.com/

Last edited:
helpful...

Thanks so much for replying...I feel like I "fit" in here. No one else I know has to deal with anything like this and it is comforting to be among so many who understand and with so much knowledge....Thanks! I have noticed the last few days I have not had much of a headache and that is unusual! Maybe the Keppra really is working..."fingers crossed"...I look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Back
Top Bottom