help with meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dz54

New
Reaction score
My 25 year old son has had epilepsy since he is 2. He's been on just about everything. He has frontal lobe and has epileptic phycosis from the medicine or the seizures. Doctors are confused about what to try for him and he started lithium to calm him down but he has been pacing around the house talking loudly and occasionally screaming. He is verbal but doesn't talk about how or what he feels. All medicine changes are made by the observations my husband and I report to the doctors. The neurologist has said Rusty's case is the worst he has seen and seens to be confused on what to try next. Now, as I am writing this, he has been up for over an hour and he is playing Beatle music in his room and is talking to himself and howls loudly every once in a while.

We are so convinced that this "behavior" is a seizure (we have been told there is continuous seiaure activity). He has been put in phyc wards in the past but I'm so sure thats not the place for him. If anyone out there can offer some ideas about what helped them or maybe can help my husband and I understand what to ask for to hlep him, we would be grateful.

dz, how hard things sound for your son.

If it is constant seizures, it's call status epilepticus. It's when the brain is in a state of constant seizures. It's very serious, and he would need to go to the emergency room right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_epilepticus

Is it possible your son has more than one thing going on at a time? Epilepsy or another seizure disorder, plus something else? I don't know where you live, but a major teaching hospital with a regional epilepsy center might be able to sort this all out for you. It might take several types of doctors working together as a team to get it untangled and treated.

Back
Top Bottom