Hi everyone, Im new here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Tracy

Keep us posted as to what the doctor says.

Feast-what age did you start medication? and have you had to do a lot of switching?

Hi No Shame

I started taking Dilantin when I was 6 years old. I was very allergic to it. It was a few years before they put me on another medication. Back then, in the 1950's, there were only 2 medicines that I know of. When I was in my 20's, there were more medicines and yes, there was a lot of switching. It is common for a neurologist to find the right combination for you.

Welcome Tracy Lynn. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy in 1985 and have been on Tegretol ever since. My seizures are caused by lack of sleep and stress. I hate sleeping and night because I'm scared of the dark. I have been having partial seizures for about the last 4 years and am currently increasing doses to accomdate. My partial seizures are more of I can't breathe and then I have a cold flash and then a hot flash go through my body. I have gotten used to the ideal of being epileptic but the seizures scare me to death. Hang in there and you will find the right "cocktail" to work for you. You are surrounded by friends here and we all welcome you. Take care

Hi carlasmoore

Since you are afraid of the dark, try night lights. They help me.

Don't worry. I haven't slept in the dark since I was 7 or 8. I have always been scared of the dark and quietness. Now my husband is a nightcrawler and stays up all night so that makes me feel better too. I NEVER sleep in the dark. I'm too scared and I always have my seizures at night so I want my husband to be able to find me too. Take care!

Pre-seizures on EEG's

thanks feast. that threw me for a loop when the epileptologist told me that i only had pre-seizure waves on a 2-day ambulatory EEG..he had me beleiving i didnt have EP. i know i do..they were just beatin round the bush until i would do a 5 day video EEG. didnt and left that hosptial!

Hi No Shame

You misunderstood me. A 5 day video EEG is more accurate. I am not a doctor.

Take the 5 day video EEG. Keep me posted. I do not know all of the in's and out's of your case. I cannot diagnose. If I sounded like I was, I am sorry.

Wow Im learning so much just from reading the forums here.. finding out more than any doctor info thats for sure..
My symptoms are driving me crazy, and its very tiring, because i dont know whats happenning to me... again last night 3 times in a row..with the lightning sensation through my body, and the flickering lights, followed by some randon twitching...
I never had epilepsy growing up and until december i was fine... and im wondering if epilepsy can be rooted in a Virus of some type?? I haven't been diagnosed yet with epilepsy..but for sure I wanna have the longer eeg so it can be picked up.. and why are these things happening so much around my period?? Has something to do with hormones im guessing.. so many questions.. but I know i never feel good, always tired, and my quality of life isnt so great, and everyone around here is picking up the slack for me and it doesnt leave me with a very good feeling..

New symptom ??
same type of episode as descibed above, except this time the whole right side of my face from my forehead to my chin was full of pins and needles..like it spread from the top down.. then it went away..
This is scary..

New symptom ??
same type of episode as descibed above, except this time the whole right side of my face from my forehead to my chin was full of pins and needles..like it spread from the top down.. then it went away..
This is scary..

I've had epilepsy all my life & after about 20 years old I seem to get new symptoms every few years.

It does keep me from getting bored with them lol.

I have come across information regarding women and there periods... I am a man so I did not read about it, but there is much information about it.

I am going for a 5-7 day hospital stint, begining 4-19, psuedo or not these things are real.. I am unhappy with my neuro, and will explain this to my doctor/nurses in the hospital and how he requested I not see a phyciatrist.
I recommend doing as much leg work as you can, you have one patient yourself, no telling how many your doctor is seeing each and everyday.

My problem is dealing with the thoughts of suicide and side effects daily and not contacting the doctor. I ran out of a med used for add, but also treats depression. I now know how important it is I have that in my system. In trying get this I forgot that my keppra xr needed refilling. Why is it this is not delivered to my home? I am not allowed to drive a car? What I am on for deppresion is a narcotic so I have to somehow get across town to pick up a peice of paper. I find out on Friday my docs. is closed and nobody there cared to call and ask why i have not picked up my script... why they would not let me know I would not be able to pick it up on Friday and go all weekend feeling like I wanted to die. My paper work to social security for my benifits i gave my doc to send in two to three months ago, still has not been turned in, possibly hindering the funds I deserve! The doctors of course blame it on someone leaving the practice. I have my brother go with me, and will ask him to take care of this issue because I will lose it and go into a fit.

Is there any way that your local hospital could have given you a few emergency pills to get you past the weekend?? im asking because its done here quite frequently..

I am not sure, as this is all new to me, I have only been undergoing treatment for 9 months or so. I am learning by trial and error. I had to do this before, go to a different pharmacy and was charged double the price for some reason. Maybe I shall have my records sent to a local hospital so they have them on hand?

I have the pins in my toes feeling and have explained this before to my neuro and he just ignored me. :mrt: I pitty the fool!

I think its really at the discretion of the doctor who sees you.. but i have seen people come to the hospital for meds because of whatever reason, running out and not being able to get more. As long as its not a narcotic medicine usually something can be done i think. That happenned to a friend of mine with blood pressure meds, She really needed them and her bottle got lost somehow and she was from out of town. She just went to the hospital and they gave her a 2 days worth of meds to get her through..

i had to do the same when i was on holiday with family in LA. my meds got stolen from our hotel room and they gave us replacements. no idea what the theives thought the meds would do-either way it wouldnt have been much!!

hehe.. i had someone steal my bottle of fluconazole one time... i just laughed.. I was like " do you have a major yeast infection"? hahah

Hi all new me89 Welcome to our forum. I am glad to meet you.

People steal medicines because they cannot afford them. They know others who can use them. Thank you for the information. Everytime I go to a hotel or motel, I will take my medicines everywhere I go when I leave my room.

have since found that usually the hotel safe is a good place- if the one in your room is removable then dont risk that-ask the manager.

Back
Top Bottom